The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember hiding behind an end table in the living room because everyone was so upset and i was scared because i didn't understand. I was 3.

I was only two, so I had no idea anything had happened.

A lot of people may not know this, but there is an "X" painted on Elm Street where Kennedy''s car was when he was hit by the bullet. I'll try to post a photo when I get home. The forum isn't letting me post photos from my MacBook, for some reason.

CD

Oh, you just reminded me that I had my very first double yolk egg earlier this week when I made my scrambled egg with leftover roasted potatoes and cheese. What made it rare was that they were supermarket eggs, which are inspected with bright backlighting. This one got through.

CD
Lol, these are free range and to big for local buyers, so I get them, I love double yolkers.
I think JAS_OH1 hadn't ever seen a double yolker.

Russ

Sounds so unfair, what if you disappeared for a few days, the state would have to step in????

Russ
Nope, the state has been letting these people go homeless because there's a problem with the funding.

As long as the boy doesn't have another legal guardian ( the curator) things will keep being put on our plate

My delivery of 2 trays of large are due Tuesday. Do you get many double yolks? I get about 30% double.

Russ
thankfully no. not many. we did have 1 season where I would get 2 double yolkers every single day but after 6 months of laying that problem resolved itself (it is actually not good for the chook concerned because it's a reproductive failure and can be an indication of cancer or other issues that usually result in the death of the chook concerned).

so we were a tad surprised by this one. it is now just our older girls who don't lay that often that give us the odd surprise. this chook only lays 3 times a week and often with shells that thin that the crumble in your hand when you try to pick them up, so it was quite worrying to see because it could easily have broken inside get and I've lost 2 girls to that in the last 6 months. once an egg breaks inside, or gets stuck, it's pretty much a death sentence that's a long drawn out affair (2-3 weeks) before they die from septicemia or the actual infection itself. only surgery will save them, but usually by then they are too ill to survive surgery, and will never lay again (not that I worry about that with half my flock over 4 years old and several over 8 years old).

saw my consultant yesterday.
ok cleared to drive again and can start hydrotherapy... which means once my 4x4 has had a new exhaust system (it's the original on the vehicle and she's 24 or is it 26? years old, so we can't complain. she's done 415,000km on 1 exhaust system.... don't think the 2nd one will last that long... and a new handbrake cable... there's nothing left to adjust on this one and using gears the hold her in place isn't always that convenient when you need to stay the engine (I just used my right for on the brake pedal, but hubby has finally decided that he's not playing that game! ).... lol...

so once serenity is back on the road, I can take myself to physio and hydrotherapy (once I've got a cossie that fits me) and i can start to get fit again...

in the meantime I'm going back to bed. the wearer is awful outside and it's bedtime... it's cold, wet, wild and windy outside... just like the lake district or the highlands when I lived there. never thought I'd have that weather in Australia as well, lol.

hubby had another attempt at burning the house down today after lighting the stove (it's been 8°C all day and we were cold). he just made a fundamental doh mistake and didn't remove the stuff off the top of the stove... nut asthma was triggered yet again before the fire alarm (which did actually go off this time after I poured water over the top of the stove. one if those "how the hell do I deal with this?" situations. this was a very thick good quality plastic and wood dust pan and brush set that wad rapidly melting through the outer top of the stove and dripping onto the burning hot inner top of the stove. the grill being there to stop fingers and things that burn from touching something very hot. water slowed the melting long enough to get hubby's attention and help (it had literally just started to drip onto the inner top which was a problem because it was catching fire)... I extracted what I could (brush and handle of dust pan) whilst hubby fought with the fire tongues to remove the top and grey both parts outside...

the end result was that we needed to leave the house for the rest of today (defeated the point of the fire I know), so we went to the cinema and watched the Bond film instead....

tomorrow's drama will be trying to get the remaining plastic off the stove top workout damaging it. replacing it might be our only option. and then there's a chook to find and look at. there's a problem, but that's tomorrow not today...

at least airing the house wasn't a problem with the gales at the moment and the number of trees coming down!

The local elections are being held in our town tomorrow. As is the custom (and no-one can remember why) the sale/purchase of alcohol is banned from 18:00 tonight until 18:00 tomorrow night after the polls close.

As it is the custom then the majority of villagers know this, if not them all. I asked my wife why, if they want booze, do they not buy before the deadline? "Because they may not have the money", she answered. "So where are they going to get the money between now and tomorrow night then?"

Note: during the current Covid-19 regulations, it is prohibited to serve alcohol in any restaurants/bars at any time.

so my mum said.
my brother on the other hand is complaining that his wheelebin just get a speeding ticket!
that and the learner he is teaching isn't ready for snow. What learner ever is?
caseydog translation please ??? :wave:

Happy Birthday Morning Glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom