The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in to say HI! :wave:
I guess I've been busy last couple days. Went to my sister's house to help her setup for her baby shower, and I took photos of her event for her. Now I'm back and doing final planning on our baby shower. Haven't cooked anything out of the ordinary that's worth sharing on the board, but skimming through now. Hope everyone is well!

Went to renew my driver's license today. I didn't pass the eye test. 👓

Up until now, I've only needed reading glasses. I guess those days are over.

CD
I've needed them since I was 9 years old. I won't even stand up without them on unless I can touch a wall! I did drop to -6 on whatever the script for glasses is at one point, but I've improved to only -4.5 now. My SIL is -9 though, so I'm lucky, but even so without my glasses I don't communicate very well because I can't tell someone is talking to me. My little sister only has partial hearing (she was totally deaf at 18 months old for almost a year, she now has 30% & 50% hearing on her ears) and it wasn't until then that I really started to watch lips and now use a mixture of both because my hearing is too sensitive (total opposite of my sister). I can hear what's going on in the background far better than the person standing next to me talking to me, hence I watch lips so I can 'extract' a sentence from all of the jumble of life around me. Guess it is why I prefer nature because I can actually hear it more clearly than humans.

Finally got the kitchen sink light installed, after 17 years putting up with washing dishes in the gloom:

Finally got the kitchen sink light installed, after 17 years putting up with washing dishes in the gloom:

I have those "type" of fittings in my kitchen however, the bulbs are a type of push fit and I've looked in all the local stores for LED replacements without success. I shall need to have the fitting replaced if I wish to change to LED (I have currently upgraded 25 of the 29 bulbs in the house to LED).

Tad wet out today.

Normally the creek at the back of the house is dry and theoretical only. Not today.

Zooming in. We hardly ever see water behind those pine trees in front of the dams, there's another to the right.

The ditch, another theoretical creek is also filling up and backing up at the track where it can't clear fast enough.

I had to go out to rescue the post, bring in more fire wood and check on the chooks. Not a single chook was in the chook house in the dry. :o_o: It was a full waterproofs (jacket & trousers) and wellies job just to rescue the post, a bill.

But I did find this wonderful bit of wood in the log shed.

It is known as squiggly gum. The squiggles are caused by a moth larvae living between the bark and the wood.

As for my own health, it's been an exhausting array of problems for the last two months. I haven't posted much about it and don't intend to start but I just want to vent about one thing.

I'm going to have to be on antibiotics for the next two months, which is a nightmare when you have no colon. It means I have to eat a lot of liquid food because I will dehydrate faster than I can drink, and eat a low residue diet ( very low fibre, so not very healthy) .
If I am suddenly posting a typical meat and potatoes diet where you need a microscope to find the veg and fruit ,this is why.
I can eat bananas though, so yay I guess.

There are days when you're left wondering if you counted correctly but I have seen the chook today that left this wonderful ring of feathers... she's moulting and apparently going for a sudden rapid moult at that

View attachment 85003
There are 3 other areas where she's left a similar number of feathers in the garden. She has distinctive feathers so we know it is just her... she's a large bird of 4kg and a heavily feathered breed, though for the next couple of months heavily feathered is going to be subjective! Lol
I managed to get a picture of the girl these feathers are from. What you can see in the picture below, is about a quarter of the bare skin. Underneath is totally bare. she will lose most of the feathers either side if that 'bald' patch before this moult is done.

And by the time she has, she'll be doing the live supermarket chicken act as we refer to it here!

The irony is that if she wasn't fit and healthy, she simply wouldn't be able to moult like this!

This girl is almost feathered up again now. Taken 3 weeks ago. The new feathers are growing back really well, but they'll need another 2-3 weeks growing yet to be fully grown.

And to those who don't know that this is perfectly normal if rather startling, I'll apologize and repeat that there wouldn't be this massive sudden loss and regrowth if they were not fit & healthy.

As for my own health, it's been an exhausting array of problems for the last two months. I haven't posted much about it and don't intend to start but I just want to vent about one thing.

I'm going to have to be on antibiotics for the next two months, which is a nightmare when you have no colon. It means I have to eat a lot of liquid food because I will dehydrate faster than I can drink, and eat a low residue diet ( very low fibre, so not very healthy) .
If I am suddenly posting a typical meat and potatoes diet where you need a microscope to find the veg and fruit ,this is why.
I can eat bananas though, so yay I guess.
I hope whatever you’re having to treat goes away quickly and you can get back to your usual self as soon as possible. :hug:

I've needed them since I was 9 years old. I won't even stand up without them on unless I can touch a wall! I did drop to -6 on whatever the script for glasses is at one point, but I've improved to only -4.5 now. My SIL is -9 though, so I'm lucky, but even so without my glasses I don't communicate very well because I can't tell someone is talking to me. My little sister only has partial hearing (she was totally deaf at 18 months old for almost a year, she now has 30% & 50% hearing on her ears) and it wasn't until then that I really started to watch lips and now use a mixture of both because my hearing is too sensitive (total opposite of my sister). I can hear what's going on in the background far better than the person standing next to me talking to me, hence I watch lips so I can 'extract' a sentence from all of the jumble of life around me. Guess it is why I prefer nature because I can actually hear it more clearly than humans.
Must have made mask-wearing on other folks quite difficult when trying to have a conversation :yuck:

Must have made mask-wearing on other folks quite difficult when trying to have a conversation :yuck:
Yep. I inevitably either end up asking then to yell or remove their mask. Most just assume I can't hear very well, the height being it is the exact opposite. Covid must have been hell for those who genuinely need to lip read. At least with me if a nurse came into my room to talk to me, closing the door reduced the background noise to a level I could hear them talk to me without the lip reading.

It's heading bats that I would prefer I couldn't. I'm assuming it's actually an echo I'm hearing, or a rebound off an object, but I can always tell you when bats are around! (It actually hurts because it is so high pitched)..

But on the bright side, i hear thunderstorms well ahead of others so can get the washing in before it suddenly breaks on you or get to safety when out hiking etc. I can hear sirens well before other motorists etc. Hubby can call to me and I can hear it etc. So it does have some advantages. (Hearing mice farting in the roof isn't down as an average though! Lol)

I got another 'A' for English, this time for speaking. The only reason I didn't get an A+ according to the teacher was because I was sounding 'rushed' which is true because I was incredibly nervous. I'm such a perfectionist, that having to record myself speaking is incredibly anxiety inducing.
But I'm pretty well pleased!

I got another 'A' for English, this time for speaking. The only reason I didn't get an A+ according to the teacher was because I was sounding 'rushed' which is true because I was incredibly nervous. I'm such a perfectionist, that having to record myself speaking is incredibly anxiety inducing.
But I'm pretty well pleased!
Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom