The Guardian Cryptic Crossword (30th June)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:04 PM
This is a little trial for anyone interested in sharing progress with solving the daily Guardian cryptic crossword. Not sure how it will work but suspect there will be only one or two of us doing it...

Todays crossword is here: Cryptic crossword No 28,173

The crossword can be filled in on-line.

Just been doing this one in the printed paper. I thought it a very easy one today, but one should remember that I've been doing cryptic crosswords in The Guardian for more years than I care to recall. I'm also used to the style of the different compilers. Goodness knows how many there have been in that time. Araucaria was the legendary one. He died a few years ago, but I think his spirit lives on in the crosswords of Paul. In fact, we have been known to refer to Paul as "son of Araucaria."

One thing I noticed is the slightly 'naughty' edge to many of the clues. But I'm really out of practice - spent ten minutes so far and only solved one (which to be honest I don't fully understand)! I do better on the clues set in our thread.

24 across is the one I have. Something to do with Ace and ?

One thing I noticed is the slightly 'naughty' edge to many of the clues. But I'm really out of practice - spent ten minutes so far and only solved one (which to be honest I don't fully understand)! I do better on the clues set in our thread.

24 across is the one I have. Something to do with Ace and ?
Suit = case
Re = note

Years ago I used to enjoy one of the dailies crosswords I think it was either the Telegraph or the Grauniad, as the answers to the first few across clues were always a play on words. So you'd get Whet, Dream or Holy, Mackerel

Back
Top Bottom