The Guardian Cryptic Crossword: (July 1st 2020)

Just did today's Lovatt's online cryptic. Finished in a shade under 20 mins and thought I'd done rather well. Was only 2804 out of 3935 so not as clever as I thought I was!

Just did Tuesday's Lovatt's cryptic in 10:52 and still only 1417 of 4094. There's some seriously quick crossworders out there.

The Guardian cryptic was quite tough today - it took a while to get the last few. The compiler was Imogen, who is actually a man. I can give you no idea why he calls himself that, but I do know that he is really Richard Browne, who was the crossword editor of The Times for twelve years.

Something else I can reveal is that the Guardian setter Pasquale is Don Manley, who has compiled crosswords for the Radio Times, Spectator, FT, Times, Independent and Daily Telegraph. Now this is the very same Don Manley who wins prize after prize from The Observer for the Azed competition puzzles. While it's undeniable that he is very good at writing clues, surely you shouldn't be giving prizes to someone who is essentially a professional setter. He also lives in Oxford, in the same part of town as Azed himself and they are, apparently, close friends. Call me bitter and twisted, but I find this a bit too nepotistic.

Something else I can reveal is that the Guardian setter Pasquale is Don Manley, who has compiled crosswords for the Radio Times, Spectator, FT, Times, Independent and Daily Telegraph. Now this is the very same Don Manley who wins prize after prize from The Observer for the Azed competition puzzles. While it's undeniable that he is very good at writing clues, surely you shouldn't be giving prizes to someone who is essentially a professional setter. He also lives in Oxford, in the same part of town as Azed himself and they are, apparently, close friends. Call me bitter and twisted, but I find this a bit too nepotistic.

I too find it hard where we knight sports people who are PAID to play . I'm bitter about that as well. Reward the volunteers, not the professionals. Rant over,lol

Russ

While it's undeniable that he is very good at writing clues, surely you shouldn't be giving prizes to someone who is essentially a professional setter. He also lives in Oxford, in the same part of town as Azed himself and they are, apparently, close friends. Call me bitter and twisted, but I find this a bit too nepotistic.

I'd agree.

Back
Top Bottom