The humble date

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
4:17 AM
upload_2018-7-22_22-4-50.png

I love dates – with their sticky sweetness and their shiny skins – and I eat them every day. I always carry a handful of them when I’m on a long bike ride.

So why humble? They don’t appear to play much of a role in our culinary world, that’s why. I’ve been looking around for interesting recipes that use dates – and there are ‘date slices’ and ‘date squares’ recipes available, of course. One of these sandwiches dates that have been stewed with lemon juice between two layers of a rolled oats concoction that sounds appealing, if a bit heavy.

I want to find some more interesting things to do with dates – can anyone help by posting their own tried and tested recipes, please?

thanks @morning glory - I've had a look at this recipe and it's interesting and simple. I'm not particularly concerned about its authenticity - if it tastes good, then it's fine with me

If you do make it then please post as an entry to the Prize Challenge - we never get that many entries so you could be in with a great chance of winning.

I had the most delicious date shake in indio California, just outside of Palm Springs. Ice cream, milk, dates, and ???

Whipped cream and a cherry on top. LOL just kidding. I think it was just milk, ice cream, and chopped dates. They make the shakes up in a blender. I should have watched more carefully to see what else they added, if anything. Sweet! I think it was called Shields date farm. They have date everything. It's a great place to visit.

Sautéed leeks with dates - a recently discovered recipe I tried out for the first time last Sunday. Finely shred the leeks then cook them down in a little butter. Halfway through cooking add some julienned dates. The flavour combination really works, and is a great accompaniment to roast pork.

Sautéed leeks with dates - a recently discovered recipe I tried out for the first time last Sunday. Finely shred the leeks then cook them down in a little butter. Halfway through cooking add some julienned dates. The flavour combination really works, and is a great accompaniment to roast pork.

What a fantastic idea!

Stuff them with mascarpone, blue cheese, goat cheese or Brie, a pecan or almond, and wrap with prosciutto.

Back
Top Bottom