The "I quit sugar" diet

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:49 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
The newest diet that I've heard doing the rounds among people I know is the I Quit Sugar diet.

There's a website on it and everything - www.iquitsugar.com.

How would you feel about cutting sugar out of your diet completely? Do you think it would be manageable for you? And given that there's added sugars in so many things (and even natural sugars in things like fruit, because of the fructose!) how achievable do you think this diet really is?

sugar.jpg

Like you said, it is the latest fad diet. In fact all they really need to do is follow a type 2 diabetes diet and it will be far more productive! That looks at all sugars, natural, hidden and complex in the form of carbohydrates which the body breaks down into sugars!

But I guess for the average American (?) cutting out even the obvious sugar would be a good start on a new life.

I agree with SNSSO, although here in the UK as a nation our waists are expanding at an alarming rate as well. I think I read somewhere that by 2050 60% of the population will be obese, so the moral of the story is, moderation In all foods, and exercise. After all if you eat 3000 calories each day but only burn 2500 calories you have a excess of 500 every day. That equals fat. So instead of fad diets, eat less and exercise more.

Research done in America has now linked sugar with Cancer. Claiming its a greater hazard than diabetes.

After all if you eat 3000 calories each day but only burn 2500 calories you have a excess of 500 every day. That equals fat. So instead of fad diets, eat less and exercise more.
Told I should think about raising my current amount of exercise and eat more fat. This despite saying that currently I was cycling about 500 miles per month. and only shortly after spending 16 hours on four wheels and pedal power. The "Over 50's MOT", despite the fact I'm under that marker.

Quick search shows that the person behind this diet has her own food range, including soft drinks

Like you said, it is the latest fad diet. In fact all they really need to do is follow a type 2 diabetes diet and it will be far more productive! That looks at all sugars, natural, hidden and complex in the form of carbohydrates which the body breaks down into sugars!

But I guess for the average American (?) cutting out even the obvious sugar would be a good start on a new life.
You mean like they appear in fruit?

Dark chocolate is good for you. At least thats what the scientists say, so I'll be on their side this time. Yum. CHOCOLATE.

Apart from being hard to do, I don't think cutting sugar out of the diet completely would be a good thing. We need the energy from carbohydrates to keep us going. I have, however, tried cutting back on sugar in my beverages and have so far been successful. It is a gradual thing for me. There is hidden sugar in a lot of the food we buy from the supermarket. However, certain foods like ice cream, for instance, contain high amounts of sugar and that is the reason I eat ice cream only occasionally. I also stay away from aerated drinks for the most part, since the sugar content in them is way too high. Eating fruit is a healthier choice, since the sugar from these fruits breaks down at a slower rate than the ordinary sugar we use in our beverages or that is found in rice, bread or other carbohydrate food.

So, I would say it is achievable to cut back on the amount of sugar we use, but not to cut it completely from our diet.

I make my own ice cream and regulate the amount of sugar in it. I agree, cutting sugar out isn't possible.

It's certainly possible to dramatically reduce sugar from our diets. But it does mean giving up all (or most) processed foods. Sugar in the form of fructose, lactose & maltose is enough to derive energy from without getting it from sucrose. But even the natural sugars we should try to limit. Although fruit is a healthier snack than a donut we should limit our consumption of it and eat more vegetables, especially the less starchy ones.
I know it sounds boring, but cooking from scratch, eating meat & veg & some wholemeal grains (if you eat carbs) is healthier.

Sugar has an important function also in our body processes that is why we cannot totally cut it out in our diet. We can get sources of sugar from natural foods like fruits but it has limitation also. Sugary foods like sweet desserts like cakes and ice cream, carbonated drinks and juice drinks are all loaded with sugar that is why as much as possible avoid these kind of foods. Remember that we should be eating all in moderation and in the right quantity only for good health.

I agree with SNSSO, although here in the UK as a nation our waists are expanding at an alarming rate as well. I think I read somewhere that by 2050 60% of the population will be obese, so the moral of the story is, moderation In all foods, and exercise. After all if you eat 3000 calories each day but only burn 2500 calories you have a excess of 500 every day. That equals fat. So instead of fad diets, eat less and exercise more.

That waist expansion is down here in the Caribbean and it's been after me for a while. No kidding. I was never much of a sugar girl...well I did not have a problem with sugar and then I joined a baking forum and wanted to get my baking skills improved. Then the sugar started popping up and being a real concern for me. I think I could handle no sugar or very little. I have to go get my sugar levels checked and I''m scared.
Research done in America has now linked sugar with Cancer. Claiming its a greater hazard than diabetes.

Told I should think about raising my current amount of exercise and eat more fat. This despite saying that currently I was cycling about 500 miles per month. and only shortly after spending 16 hours on four wheels and pedal power. The "Over 50's MOT", despite the fact I'm under that marker.

Quick search shows that the person behind this diet has her own food range, including soft drinks

If I could walk 5 miles in a month. Trust you remind me I am a mess with an expanding waist.

That waist expansion is down here in the Caribbean and it's been after me for a while. No kidding. I was never much of a sugar girl...well I did not have a problem with sugar and then I joined a baking forum and wanted to get my baking skills improved. Then the sugar started popping up and being a real concern for me. I think I could handle no sugar or very little. I have to go get my sugar levels checked and I''m scared.

If I could walk 5 miles in a month. Trust you remind me I am a mess with an expanding waist.
Not intended, just pointing out that even the "experts" can't agree.

Back
Top Bottom