The joys of eating at bars....

For close to the last 8 years I have been 100-percent self employed, and divorced. So, I mostly live alone, sleep alone, cook alone, travel alone and -- most of the other stuff alone.

I don't go out for food much when I am at home, so when I travel, I make it a point to eat at the bar and strike up a conversation. You never know what you will get, but I have found that if you listen to the parson's first interaction with the bar-tender, you can get a feel for whether they are friendly or not.

CD

I love talking to people on a plane, about two years ago I struck up a conversation with a 65 yo guy. I always start with , you coming or going? This guy said he was going home to sort his wife out, turned he always wanted to go to base camp at Everest. His doc gave him the OK and an exercise regime which was walking in hills around our town. His wife tried to stop him even going to,the doc to talk him out of it. He went and walked to,base camp, this guy was over the moon having done a life time event. I don't know if their marriage survived but he wasn't happy with her. I've met great people on flights.

Russ

I sold more dive gear at Rickey's after pool sessions than at the dive store. EDUP here (Ex Diver's Unlimited Professional)! Also had to collect on beers owed to me by students. Most were for leaving scuba tanks standing up unattended.

I don't like anyone talking to me on a plane, mainly because it combines two things I don't enjoy - being on a plane and talking to other people. :laugh:

Years ago, I used to get told that I looked like a Eric Clapton, mainly because I wore my hair down and wore similar glasses to EC during his Unplugged years.

It was common, used to annoy the living crap out of my wife. Once, sitting at a bar in Columbus, two very drunk young women were convinced I was EC, bought me beer, took selfies with me, posted it on FB, called a boyfriend, and then turned very nasty when I kept assuring them I definitely was not EC.

I am one of those folks who is sort of "it depends". If I eat at a bar alone (I am single), it will almost always be because I am at an airport, and want a drink, maybe two, and some relatively quick food - and in those cases I'm quite amenable to striking up a conversation with the stranger in the seat next to me. (I won't do this at all at places local to my own home, part of that "stranger danger" ambiance. I'll eat out near home, but not at the bar, especially later in the day. Breakfasts or brunches are more flexible.)

However at airports, where everyone is going in differing directions, such conversations are actually quite fascinating. I've enjoyed meeting some interesting folk, and sharing back and forth what brings us into flying from wherever to wherever. Or wherever that conversation might lead. I may be overall an introvert, but that's not 100% who I am. Airport bars have always been good. (I did avoid them on the trip home after Dad passed, because I knew I was going to be too maudlin to talk to anyone, nor want to bring them down.)

I am one of those folks who is sort of "it depends". If I eat at a bar alone (I am single), it will almost always be because I am at an airport, and want a drink, maybe two, and some relatively quick food - and in those cases I'm quite amenable to striking up a conversation with the stranger in the seat next to me. (I won't do this at all at places local to my own home, part of that "stranger danger" ambiance. I'll eat out near home, but not at the bar, especially later in the day. Breakfasts or brunches are more flexible.)

However at airports, where everyone is going in differing directions, such conversations are actually quite fascinating. I've enjoyed meeting some interesting folk, and sharing back and forth what brings us into flying from wherever to wherever. Or wherever that conversation might lead. I may be overall an introvert, but that's not 100% who I am. Airport bars have always been good. (I did avoid them on the trip home after Dad passed, because I knew I was going to be too maudlin to talk to anyone, nor want to bring them down.)

Havnt heard maudlin word in years, my mum used to use it, so did my nan. You took me back.

Russ

I have never eaten at a bar but have struck up a few conversations with strangers whilst standing at one waiting to be served.

I have never eaten at a bar but have struck up a few conversations with strangers whilst standing at one waiting to be served.

It may be a little different here. Many airport bars are restaurants that have bars in them. In Texas, that is the Law. A bar that does not make half of it's income from food and/ or other things besides alcohol is illegal. Airport restaurant/bar combinations take advantage of the fact that you really can't go anywhere else to eat or drink, so they mark up the price of food. Around town here in Texas, The restaurant needs to be somewhat competitive on food prices, but alcoholic beverages are pure profit.

So, when I eat at a bar, I'm not usually eating "bar food." I can order from the full menu, and eat it at the bar.

CD

It may be a little different here. Many airport bars are restaurants that have bars in them. In Texas, that is the Law. A bar that does not make half of it's income from food and/ or other things besides alcohol is illegal. Airport restaurant/bar combinations take advantage of the fact that you really can't go anywhere else to eat or drink, so they mark up the price of food. Around town here in Texas, The restaurant needs to be somewhat competitive on food prices, but alcoholic beverages are pure profit.

So, when I eat at a bar, I'm not usually eating "bar food." I can order from the full menu, and eat it at the bar.

CD

We kind of have similar responsibilities here around drinking and eating, to stop drink driving.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom