The juice of one lemon

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:05 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Hummm bought last week.

The one on the left is a larger than average lemon. when juiced, the juice would not fit in my glass lemon juicer (you know the type I mean?). I had to stop part way through... I haven't tried juicing the one on the right but it did leave me thinking and wondering how a recipe is affected by the little things like ' the juice and zest of one lemon '. It can vary so greatly.

I should really have put something there as a reference... I'll do that on Monday when I get home.

DSC_2340.JPG

The average sized lemon on the left in the photograph is what I believe most classic récipes call for in the amount of juice and / or zest ..

The giant on the right, on a personal note, I do not buy.

I have no doubt mentioned before that lemons are very scarce here so limes are the fruit of choice. The quantity of juice from one lime appears to depend upon the freshness and the temperature. I tend to measure in teaspoons or tablespoons (roughly).

These are normal size. The bowl is 150 mm (6") diameter.

limes-2 s.jpg

In Woollies (Wordsworth's supermarket) we often can string bags of mixed lemons and limes... It makes life more interesting. But seasonally sometimes lemon are not available here either @Yorky

I've never had trouble finding lemons, no matter the season, the coins to pay for them, and the willingness to be ripped off is another thing altogether. Right on Xmas citrus, stone fruit, tomatoes & iceberg lettuce go through the roof every year.

I've never had trouble finding lemons, no matter the season, the coins to pay for them, and the willingness to be ripped off is another thing altogether. Right on Xmas citrus, stone fruit, tomatoes & iceberg lettuce go through the roof every year.
We had a period of about a month last year where lemons were complexly unavailable anywhere locally. It was really odd. When they did come back into the stores, they were desperately expensive to the point where I substituted them with limes in many recipes. Limes are cheaper for most of the year in the Canberra area.

I keep a bottle of lime juice in the fridge for emergencies. I also add it to lime cordial to combat the sweetness.

Mother has Meyer lemons growing in her yard. I like them for infused water, lemonade and what little baking I may do. For savory dishes they are a little sweet for my taste.

Mother has Meyer lemons growing in her yard. I like them for infused water, lemonade and what little baking I may do. For savory dishes they are a little sweet for my taste.
Far as I know I have never tasted Meyer lemons. There is another type of very lovely scented lemon (from Italy) which I once managed to find. This is now driving me mad as I can't remember what it is called! Help, @Sandra or @MypinchofItaly!

Back
Top Bottom