Recipe The Lady’s Relish

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:55 PM
If you want to call this recipe 'spiced anchovy and mushroom butter’ feel free. But as its a riff on a traditional English savoury paste, The Gentleman’s Relish, I thought that The Lady’s Relish would be a convenient shorthand. The recipe for Gentleman's Relish is still top secret but its known that it contains certain spices which are used here. Anyway - this version has a different flavour not least because in the original, the anchovies are fermented. Here the mushrooms provide a slightly ‘rounder’ flavour. I left the paste chunky because of the ways I intended to use it but if you wish you can blitz it to a fine paste which will be more like Gentlemen’s Relish in texture.

The point about this recipe is its versatility - you can simply use it spread on crackers or as a butter to top a steak. Or you can use it in soups, stews and as a pasta sauce. Also in stuffed eggs or stuffed mushrooms. So - you will see a few more recipes from me based on this! The paste will keep in the fridge for at least a week or can be frozen. Unlike Gentlemen’s Relish it needs to be removed from the fridge to become spreadable.

fullsizeoutput_3f72.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 100g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 90g unsalted butter, softened
  • A splash of brandy (optional)
  • 30g tin of anchovies in oil, drained
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
Method
  1. Melt 20g of butter in a pan and gently fry the chopped mushrooms until softened. Add a splash of brandy (if using) and turn up the heat to high to ‘burn off’ the alcohol. Allow to cool.
  2. Finely chop the anchovies and mix with the remaining softened butter and spices.
  3. Add the mushrooms and mix well. If you wish you can now blitz the mixture to form a paste.

Last edited:
I make tomato relish every summer, it's nothing like this recipe. Best with cheese and crackers. I'll post my next batch.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom