The Monks of Athos longevity

Meat seems to be an offender. I used to vegetarianism, veganism etc as fads with limited scientific support but they start to grow more and more support. One of my coworkers spent one month in the hospital, her digestive system was full of ulcers. Ever since she changed into a vegetarian diet she never had any issues. She knows a woman who has the same health issues but she didn't change her diet. That woman is back in the hospital every now and then. My colleague was never hospitalized again and it's been 5 or 6 years since that episode.

Great to hear for your colleague!

However, I have Ulcerative Colitis (which is exactly that, a digestive system full of ulcers) and it developed when I was a vegan. I even had to get my colon removed, as a vegan. So these diets may work for some people, but one person's succes doesn't equate that it is a cure. I need to eat meat in order to compensate for the nutrient loss I have through having no colon, so eating vegan is no longer an option.
If your colleague has a chronic condition that causes ulcers like Ulcerative Colitis, being asymptomatic can also happen without cause. I myself have been symptom free since my surgery 3 years ago, and I eat meat. So while I am happy for your colleague, this doesn't prove vegetarian or vegan diets are healthier than meat eating.

Back
Top Bottom