The quality and price of chicken in your country

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:33 PM
[Mod. edit: this post and following few moved to form new thread (MG)]

Good chicken, raised properly is readily available in the US, in any supermarket, and more and more people are buying it. Even Walmart has free range and organic chicken and eggs.

CD
ALDI is regularly singled out for exceptional whole chickens. I've bought a few and they're fine.

The chicken I have easy access to falls into four categories (of my own naming):

1. Cheap (usually labeled something like "Value Farms," or "Price Choice Chicken").
2. Mainstream (the stuff sold by Tyson & Perdue).
3. Upper-Class Mainstream (seems to be the same as 2, just that it costa more).
4. Local, Free-Range, Organic, Humane (the most expensive, but we're not talking buying a car, so it's still reasonably affordable).

I generally buy 3 or 4, but have bought more 2 since the pandemic, because that's what's available in my town. I have to drive a bit to get 3 or 4. In my experience, a 4 chicken costs about twice what a 2 chicken costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALDI is regularly singled out for exceptional whole chickens. I've bought a few and they're fine.

The chicken I have easy access to falls into four categories (of my own naming):

1. Cheap (usually labeled something like "Value Farms," or "Price Choice Chicken").
2. Mainstream (the stuff sold by Tyson & Perdue).
3. Upper-Class Mainstream (seems to be the same as 2, just that it costa more).
4. Local, Free-Range, Organic, Humane (the most expensive, but we're not talking buying a car, so it's still reasonably affordable).

I generally buy 3 or 4, but have bought more 2 since the pandemic, because that's what's available in my town. I have to drive a bit to get 3 or 4. In my experience, a 4 chicken costs about twice what a 2 chicken costs.

How much does 4 chicken cost per pound?

We buy ours from Purex, I don't bother to ask but I remember £3 a kg for whole chickens. We never buy breasts. I will get accurate prices tomorrow. Their mission statement

Since its founding in 2002, Purex has been producing, processing and distributing chicken and turkey meat. An honest, correct and healthy way of meat production is our biggest specialty and competitive advantage. Purex values its values based on animal welfare, natural processes and animal nutrition, which excludes toxic additives common in industrial meat production. The result of such an approach is healthy, uncontaminated meat, which is a distinct quality standard and a unique example of breeding not only in Croatia, but also rare in Europe. The best confirmation of the level of above standard is the production without coccidiostats (antiparasitics), very dangerous substances for human health, the use of which is unfortunately still allowed until the very end of fattening. The goal of the EU's agricultural strategy is to eliminate these toxic additives in the next 10 years,

The story of Purex began with the cultivation of turkeys for their own needs when the owner of Purex wanted to provide his family with a healthier diet than what could then be bought in stores. The story began in the Omis hinterland, in the small village of Smolonje, and it was there that the first flock of turkeys moved into a small barn. Very quickly, the hobby grew into a business, and the business expanded to chickens as well as traditional Dalmatian pork specialties. Today, Purex has poultry houses in the wider Sinj area, and in Hrvace it is a plant where meat is processed and prepared for sale. Purex sells its products mostly through its own retail chain that covers the wider Zagreb area, as well as the area of Split and its surroundings.

The owner of Purex proudly points out that his original mission and guideline on the production of healthy food has developed into a standard enjoyed by a large number of people, and the privilege of "meat without poison" is no longer intended only for his children.

I'll check the next time I'm at that shop.

I did buy some number 1 chicken (the cheap stuff) yesterday, but that was at a small mom-and-pop shop, and prices in those places are frequently inflated a bit - boneless/skinless breast, $3.99/lb.

This is at my local WalMart. The first price is for free-range.

Boneless skinless tenderloins $5.34/lb vs. $3.96/lb

Boneless skinless breasts $4.94/lb vs. $3.37/lb.

Whole chicken $1.58/lb vs. $0.97/lb

Thanks - I will attempt to compare prices - its always tricky as our weights and our currency are different. Maybe it needs yet another new thread.... (done)

Last edited:
I've started buying meat for husband from a local shop that also supplies restaurants. All the meat is local. I found the cost lower and the quality is much higher than supermarket. The only problem is you have to buy a larger quantity which is a bit much for one so I'm buying and sharing with my parents.

Chicken Brest (skinless)
Morrisons (supermarket) is about £5/Kg That's about $2.99/lb I think
Local supplier £4/Kg That's about $2.93/lb I think

Whole Chicken
Morrisons (supermarket) is about £1.7/Kg for the cheapest, but £5-7 for organic/corn fed/free range
Local supplier £3.57/Kg

Thanks - I will attempt to compare prices - its always tricky as our weights and our currency are different. Maybe it needs yet another new thread.... (done)

I used an online converter so I hope this is helpful.

Edited to add: I didn't convert the mass. Sorry about that. One pound (lb) = 0.453592 (kg).

Image3.png

Last edited:
We've only recently started having local organic chicken here. There are three types of chicken available: regular fodder/provender fed colony-caged (not decked) chicken, grain-fed colony-caged chicken and organic free range chicken. There haven't been any salmonella cases lately and the quality is generally very good. Here (<- link) are some price examples. Colony-caged, cleaned chicken breast fillets on the meat counter are rather expensive; €14,00/kg. I often buy a whole fresh grain-fed chicken from a well equipped supermarket. The price is around €6,00/kg.

We buy ours from Purex, I don't bother to ask but I remember £3 a kg for whole chickens. We never buy breasts. I will get accurate prices tomorrow. Their mission statement

Since its founding in 2002, Purex has been producing, processing and distributing chicken and turkey meat. An honest, correct and healthy way of meat production is our biggest specialty and competitive advantage. Purex values its values based on animal welfare, natural processes and animal nutrition, which excludes toxic additives common in industrial meat production. The result of such an approach is healthy, uncontaminated meat, which is a distinct quality standard and a unique example of breeding not only in Croatia, but also rare in Europe. The best confirmation of the level of above standard is the production without coccidiostats (antiparasitics), very dangerous substances for human health, the use of which is unfortunately still allowed until the very end of fattening. The goal of the EU's agricultural strategy is to eliminate these toxic additives in the next 10 years,

The story of Purex began with the cultivation of turkeys for their own needs when the owner of Purex wanted to provide his family with a healthier diet than what could then be bought in stores. The story began in the Omis hinterland, in the small village of Smolonje, and it was there that the first flock of turkeys moved into a small barn. Very quickly, the hobby grew into a business, and the business expanded to chickens as well as traditional Dalmatian pork specialties. Today, Purex has poultry houses in the wider Sinj area, and in Hrvace it is a plant where meat is processed and prepared for sale. Purex sells its products mostly through its own retail chain that covers the wider Zagreb area, as well as the area of Split and its surroundings.

The owner of Purex proudly points out that his original mission and guideline on the production of healthy food has developed into a standard enjoyed by a large number of people, and the privilege of "meat without poison" is no longer intended only for his children.

Purex here make toilet paper. Lol.
Ours is either local (Tegel) or ozzy (inghams) both are good quality. Inghams are big horse owners in ozzy. They owned the greatest mare in makybe diva, name made up from the office ladies part names. She's up there with Winx.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom