450 gms self-raising flour
115 gms unsalted butter
110 gms caster sugar
Pinch of salt
170 mls milk + 1 tbsp cream
4 tsps baking powder
1 whole egg, beaten
Method:
  1. Sift the flour and the baking powder together, and gently rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  2. Incorporate the sugar and salt , then add the beaten egg, the milk and the cream. The original recipe says 175-300 mls milk; I used 175, and had to add a little more flour because the mixture was too wet. Could be the humidity where I live, who knows.
  3. Heat the oven to 350°F ( 180°C - Gas mark 4)
  4. Mix together to form a soft dough, then roll out to about 3/4 " thick ( about 2 cms).
  5. Using a cookie cutter, cut out as many scones as you can and place the scones on a silpat. ( I put some others on a baking tray and they burned a bit on the bottom). Brush with milk or beaten egg.
  6. Cook for about 15 minutes, until browned.
  7. Eat with jam/jelly/marmalade and cream. Or cream and jam; although HM prefers the jam first!

These looks delicious. This is similar to a Paul Hollwood recipe with the difference that he uses strong white bread flour (plus B.P.) which he says gives the scones 'structure'.

Ingredients:
450 gms self-raising flour
115 gms unsalted butter
110 gms caster sugar
Pinch of salt
170 mls milk + 1 tbsp cream
4 tsps baking powder
1 whole egg, beaten
Method:
  1. Sift the flour and the baking powder together, and gently rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  2. Incorporate the sugar and salt , then add the beaten egg, the milk and the cream. The original recipe says 175-300 mls milk; I used 175, and had to add a little more flour because the mixture was too wet. Could be the humidity where I live, who knows.
  3. Heat the oven to 350°F ( 180°C - Gas mark 4)
  4. Mix together to form a soft dough, then roll out to about 3/4 " thick ( about 2 cms).
  5. Using a cookie cutter, cut out as many scones as you can and place the scones on a silpat. ( I put some others on a baking tray and they burned a bit on the bottom). Brush with milk or beaten egg.
  6. Cook for about 15 minutes, until browned.
  7. Eat with jam/jelly/marmalade and cream. Or cream and jam; although HM prefers the jam first!View attachment 70617

Very nice!
How many scones can you get with those quantities?
I am now also wondering how the durum wheat semolina flour would work…. Need to experiment

Hollywood´s recipe uses less butter and sugar, but more milk. I don´t know about the flour; here we can find "ordinary" or "self-raising". That´s it!!
This recipe gave me about 22-25 scones ( to be honest, I didn´t count, but I´m guessing on the size of the silpat). You could try it with "semola"; I´d hazard a guess and say the scones would be denser.

Hollywood´s recipe uses less butter and sugar, but more milk. I don´t know about the flour; here we can find "ordinary" or "self-raising". That´s it!!
This recipe gave me about 22-25 scones ( to be honest, I didn´t count, but I´m guessing on the size of the silpat). You could try it with "semola"; I´d hazard a guess and say the scones would be denser.

Semola must be used well, in this case better to mix it with another type of flour. I am a big user of Semola, I’ll see what I can get.

Back
Top Bottom