The Sunday Newspaper. Anyone still read it?

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
8:22 PM
77F41FD9-41AE-4DC0-A04F-43F434666790.jpeg
Labor Day is this Monday in the US and it used to bring a 4” /10CM thick Sunday edition of the Los Angeles Times newspaper.
Normally the Times was 3” / 7.62 CM thick each Sunday. An astonishing circulation of one million copies.

My dad was working on a pacific island and the locals didn’t believe that story so I sent him a copy to win the bet.

Now, if you can even find the Sunday Times it might be half of the old days with low circulation.

I miss busting it open, spreading it out and spend the morning reading it.
Sports, entertainment, sale ads, local columnist tips, tales, and takes, 3 day old news, color expanded comics, jobs galore, opinion section with support for politicians that promise something for nothing and deliver nothing for something.

Pretty much history now.
Anyone enjoy the Sunday Paper?

Last edited:
We got the paper delivered until 2003. We moved, and when we contacted the local paper for delivery, they quoted an astronomical price, and after I spit my drink out and regained my composure, the person at the paper explained that advertisers and subscriptions for hard copy papers were down, everything was going online, and them's the breaks, take it or leave it, so we left it.

I subscribed to the New York Times weekend edition until about 2012 or 13.

Right now I subscribe to our local Hilltowns weekly paper because they don't have an online "presence".

Otherwise, I get my news online. Right now I'm following that hurricane as I have both friends and family in various parts of Florida, so I hope the thing doesn't hit heavily anywhere.

The Sunday papers are still going strong in the UK but I really don't know who is buying them. They are hefty tomes with lots of magazine inserts included - food magazines, lifestyle magazines, travel magazines etc. I use to buy the Sunday Observer for the cryptic crossword (are there any other cryptic crossword fans here apart from me & @Duck59?). Nowadays the only time I ever read it is if I go to the pub. Quite a few pubs here offer a range of Sunday papers for customers to read while they are having a drink.

I use to buy the Sunday Observer for the cryptic crossword (are there any other cryptic crossword fans here apart from me & @Duck59?).
If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy one of the episodes of Inside No. 9 - it's a little horror tale with cryptic crosswords at its center. One of the creators/writers/actors is a fan of them.

The Sunday papers are still going strong in the UK but I really don't know who is buying them. They are hefty tomes with lots of magazine inserts included - food magazines, lifestyle magazines, travel magazines etc. I use to buy the Sunday Observer for the cryptic crossword (are there any other cryptic crossword fans here apart from me & @Duck59?). Nowadays the only time I ever read it is if I go to the pub. Quite a few pubs here offer a range of Sunday papers for customers to read while they are having a drink.
Would it be strange for me to ask you to post a picture of your pub on a Sunday? It just sounds so charming
"pub" sounds so warm and friendly. "bar" is loud and noisy and crowded. lol

I do like print newspapers, though other than the one weekly local mentioned above, I no longer subscribe. I will pick up an individual paper or two depending on what's happening hither or yon.

I will note baby chicks raise up well on newsprint. Layered over with some pine chips. I do try to read the interesting sections before I give it to them. (Not remotely interested in classifieds or sports sections.)

I have this little game I like to play. It goes like this: I tell my wife, "I'm not going to get up from this spot for the rest of the evening, except to use the bathroom or get another pop." Inevitably, my son comes in and says that he needs something for tomorrow morning, and he didn't bother telling me about it until just that moment, when I could have taken care of it sooner. After dealing with that "emergency", I sit down and say the same thing, and of course 5 minutes later my daughter comes in with a similar "emergency". And then the dogs need to be let outside. There's no end to it.

I long for the day when I can do things at my own pace. Reading the newspaper reminds me of that time.

I did cancel delivery for a while because I rarely have time to read more than the front page. For the record, my kids have never interrupted me reading the newspaper: I would read the paper early in the day, and of course they won't tell me about what they need until it's very late in the day.

I restarted delivery of the paper a few years ago. I receive delivery of the Thursday, Friday, and Sunday Detroit Free Press, for $26/month, which seems like a good price to me. The Sunday paper is actually called the Detroit News and Free Press, a collaboration between the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News that became necessary because of economics.

I just like the idea of having the newsprint in my hands, and the ruffle of the pages as I flip through to find the continuation of the front page story. It's calming, and it does remind me of a quieter time. That's worth the $26, even if I don't have time to read much of it.

I think the last time I bought the Times, I was reading the Want Ad section. I never did figure out what a Key Punch Operator was. Enjoyed the crossword puzzle, and the Fall Fashion editions -- spreading it out on the avocado or chocolate brown thick shag carpeting while munching on lox, bagels, cream cheese & jelly donuts on a Sunday.

P.S. They're practically banning plastic straws here.

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet - I'm so with you on the interruptions thing; a massive peeve of mine.

No kids, but with us, it's the dog. She wants in, she wants out, she wants a biscuit, she wants someone to walk her back to her sleeping spot, she wants a light on, she wants a curtain open (yes, she will stand and bark at a lamp or drawn curtains until someone fixes them the way she likes), it never ends.

Would it be strange for me to ask you to post a picture of your pub on a Sunday?
Did someone say "pub?"

These were taken last year in The Cotswolds and this year in Suffolk.

This one is The Angel Inn in Stoke-By-Nayland. We went there five times over seven days; for drinks, for supper, for Sunday lunch, for anniversary supper, and for breakfast.

A596D870-D2DE-4C19-8561-C78CA17E7294.jpeg

This is from Wyton (Houghton-And-Wyton. This pub was my local in 1993 and 1994. Oddly, the 20-something-year-old barkeep didn't remember me :) (that's me walking in):
C99275BD-5F35-4FE9-AC67-E1307703EB8A.jpeg

This pub is in Cockleford, just outside Cheltenham. That's my wife standing in the window:
4C2DFA5A-317E-43AB-B62C-A9142F3C4DC8.jpeg

This is in either Lavenham, Cavendish, or Clare (I can't remember):
BB9AF389-8D78-479B-B14A-48C48AB2A401.jpeg

This was my local from 1992-94:
3308FBB1-9D38-44FA-B841-C7BFDC7AAA9B.jpeg

...and here I am sitting inside that pub. See how thrilled I am to be on holiday?!
A46D0851-249D-47F6-BDFF-D38907F34D0C.jpeg

Also, my profile pic was taken while sitting in a pub, though I don't remember which one (so many pubs).

Sometimes I do miss reading the paper. Especially clipping the recipes. I may still have a few in a loose-leaf that have yellowed over time. Same with magazines. Nowadays we can see the News in real time as it happens almost 24 hours a day, and earthquakes, fire, disaster alerts on our phones, or go to Realtor.com or Google. The Times they are a changin'.

Back
Top Bottom