The two ways to make an omelette

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:23 PM
I saw this on another forum and found it fascinating. Its Chef Jaques Pepin demonstrating two techniques for making an omelette. The first way is exactly how I make mine (except that I add a splash of water to the eggs). He calls this the French Country Omelette - the second method is the Classic French technique. Its a very good and clear explanation of the two methods.

The slightly odd thing is that I was taught to make omelettes the first way by a French chef (in France). He didn't show me the other (Classic) way.

Which method do you use?

View: https://youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU

Last edited:
I also use the first method, more or less, but I don't touch the eggs in the pan as long as it has the shape and distribution that I want. If it doesn't spread quite how I like it, I use a hard spatula to form it. Then, I let it cook until the egg is just barely set on the bottom. At that point, I add the fillings, fold it over, and let it cook until it reaches the brownness I want (and, I do prefer a brown like the first one). Then, I flip it once to ensure it's browned consistently.

I do like the texture that the first method has by scraping the eggs in the pan, however. It's more interesting than the totally smooth way that I make mine. I don't think I'd enjoy a loose interior as he shows in the second one.

I used to use a fork exclusively to mix the eggs in the bowl, but I've since found myself using a fork to break up the eggs, then bringing a whisk in to make absolutely sure that the white is fully beaten into the yolk and the eggs are a consistent pale yellow.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the French chef who showed you wanted you to only learn the first method, since he probably doesn't like the classic French method, either.

Neither...is that an option?

I break the eggs in the pan, stir with a spatula but not over hard, i like some of the whites to be more white, add cheese and veggies then cook til brown enough to slip a flipper under the egg then flip to the other side and let that side brown too...no runny egg anywhere. Place on plate by just tipping pan and it slides out, no fold. Serve on bread with ketchup.

I tend to use the first method....to me it seems to lend itself more easily to adding a filling.
I quite like the idea of trying the classic method...looks like a kind of cross between an omlette and scrambled eggs. I'm not sure I'd use a metal fork in my non-stick pan though :p: A herby omlette with hollandaise sauce would make a great celebration breakfast, or if you add some chips and salad it'd be a nice simple supper.

Ah, thank you. I don't know how to do that. Nor do I want to - thanks in advance! :whistling:

The link you gave was just fine so please do continue to do that if you wish! :thumbsup:

As it was such an interesting vintage video I thought I'd put it directly on the thread to encourage more folk to view it.

We missed the third method: microwaving! Added ingredients, such as cheese, onion, or spices, are not a problem. A 2-egg omelet may be whipped up (no pun) in about two minutes in any microwavable bowl of appropriate size, using absolutely no oil or grease, important to many concerned about cholesterol.

I put all my ingredients in a bowl and mix. Usually free range eggs cheese bacon tomato s and p mushrooms ( pre cooked) then I put in a single serve fry pan, we have 4 of these, then I don't stir at all, I let it cook through until I can turn it over and cook the other side. I usually toss it in one go to turn it over. I do love an omelette.

Russ

I've not watched any of the videos because I'm in a public place with no headphones available and at home ,I have the download size to consider .not all YouTubers are considerate enough to include small download sizes sadly. But from the sounds of things I make my Omelettes slightly differently from above in that I cook my filling in the same pan as the Omelette. So I'll fry my onions and mushrooms, then add the eggs (whisked with a whisk or fork, I don't mind which) then I'll add the egg to the pan with the onions and mushrooms already in it and still got from cooking, the excess oil from them being used to cook the omelette in. I will turn the omelette out when the center is still runny, flipping the omelette in half onto the plate. I don't add cheese for obvious reasons but I will add a touch of almond milk to the eggs if we are by some miracle short on eggs.

If I'm cooking one for someone else and it does contain dairy cheese, then I'll brown it off under the grill to melt and brown the cheese.

Back
Top Bottom