The Uncertainty Principle

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
10:45 PM
At work we have a new member of staff, S is the finance manager and will take over completely when the assistant accountant, my boss, retires at the end of October.

Yesterday S was discussing staff length of service with our other colleague S D, most of us have put in over 20 years each. S D claimed that people stay out of habit, I didn't get involved with the conversation because that doesn't apply to me, 25 years of service.

The thing is, I am almost 50, have a steady job, regular income and company pension. If I left to work elsewhere and it didn't work out then I would be in a mess. If I was to be laid off from this job then the payoff should be good enough to keep me ticking over but if I moved on and was laid off after only a short time then I would get next to nothing.

I could not deal with that uncertainty so will stay until such time that I have to go, I am not staying out of habit.

There are so many reasons why we stay in a certain job. I suppose I was lucky because my career was in an area for which I have a passion - but in truth, I stayed in the University sector rather than working full-time in the film or TV industry because it was more secure and worked very well around having children. Later, I became very aware that the pension plan was one of the best in the UK - so that was another reason to stick with it!

Last hired, first fired. Maybe some people hang on because it's a steady paycheck, and the job market might be on certain. Don't think habit has anything to do with it. I was fortunate to work in an industry that I loved, and after so many years I was "vested" meaning I was covered by the employer insurance plan for the rest of my life, and also a pension. I would have been hard-pressed to walk away after so many years, not contributing to that pension plan and perhaps losing the employer's insurance.

I was never one for taking orders, I've always had senior jobs in structural steel work where I had a crew of 25 under me. I then got a 9 to 5 job as a rep. Then in 91, the company I worked for got bought by another company. I had a young family and needed security. I started my own company and have always been the boss. I've always backed myself. I have assets and a large home so I'm ok. Most importantly I have my health.

Russ

I’ve worked in my sector for over twenty years, but have moved around different policy areas, so have worked in agriculture, housing, local government policy and currently structural funding.

A few years ago I applied for a redundancy package (which was very generous & protected my pension) as I fancied a change. I didn’t get it (my colleague did instead), so I stayed. Now I think I probably wouldn’t know what else to do, so will stay until I retire. I think being able to move around to different areas keeps me interested and I’ll probably be moving in the next two years anyway because of Brexit.

I think being able to move around to different areas keeps me interested and I’ll probably be moving in the next two years anyway because of Brexit.

Sounds like an interesting job you have. Brexit could affect so many jobs - I hope it won't affect your job for the worse. I'm sure there will be opportunities as well as threats.

Back
Top Bottom