The Way We Were

Here's a photo from 1999 in Destin, FL (where I am from). I was 37, he was 31.

How did that happen? What's the backstory? I really admired him. Mike Tyson was a beast but nothing compared to Ali.
When he was between "retirement" he wuld make appearances from time to time for events. So my mom had something going on where he was there and even had a ring set up where he would spar with those who wanted to. Anyhow, after an hour or so of watching him wallop on guys he went off to get cleaned up and changed into some nice duds.

So, after an hour or so of watching this man beating on people out he comes looking sharp and heading our way. I think in my child head, oh crap he's coming to kick my ass and I freak out and apparently started to cry thinking my short time on earth was done. . . hell, I remember thinking BUT THERE'S A SLEEPOVER TONIGHT!

My mom scoops me up and basically tosses me to Ali, I'm kinda freaking out, she points a camera and says SMILE and I still knew when mom says to do something, you do it, so I did and that's the end result of my first existential crisis.

6 years old, in a dress I kept for 20 years until it came apart. It was made for me and one of the best presents I ever had.

With my father in York back when I was about 25, just before I got really ill. One of the few pics I have with my father.

And if I throw in a pic with my father, I might just as well add my mother. This pic was taken when I was 27 and on prednisone.

I don't see either of them, for reasons I explained plenty of times in the past. But thought it could be fun for you all to see who I came from.

Ya know, I finally got my husband to stop wearing that style of glasses in the early 2000 :facepalm:
‘70’s frames are back, baby! My night-driving glasses are exactly what I would have worn in 1979 - sort of rounded aviators, plastic, and I had to go to the super-fashionable place in the city to get them, and pay a premium. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom