The Way We Were

When we were clearing out my parent's bungalow in England, I came across all manner of photos from many years ago.
The first, when I was 15. That bloody sports jacket was the only one I had for about 5 years, because my parents thought that buying "the best", meant that it lasted.
The second was my first (and only) year at Magdalen College. The photo is with a (now very famous) counter tenor. Me - not famous at all, but it reflects what I eventually enjoyed in life. Having fun!
The third confirms the previous reflection. My best mate and I took two Latin American girls to Eastbourne, in May. "Let's take a speedboat ride ! YAHHH!! " . We both got soaked to the skin.View attachment 100474View attachment 100473View attachment 100472
You have 'I like the high life in a cool dude way' stamped all over you 😆

Last edited:
Oh yes, school picture day was my favorite day of the year, can’t you tell?

IMG_4598.jpeg

Not the way I was, but my family, in any case:

IMG_4835.jpeg

That’s my great-grandparents (Henry & Edith), their children (minus one who died - though that baby wouldn’t make it to adulthood), taken in 1914.

That’s my grandad sitting on his father’s lap, and his older brother off to far left. Those were the only two in that picture I knew in person.

I'm only going by what I've been told as I was only a few months old. My paternal grandmother used to look up my bum to see if I had worms.
When my mum was alive our son stayed 1 night. He was woken with my mum doing exactly the same as you.
He couldn't believe it.
I laughed because I knew she did me and my bros as well earlier. The dreaded torch inspection!!!!

Russ

Not the way I was, but my family, in any case:

View attachment 101707

That’s my great-grandparents (Henry & Edith), their children (minus one who died - though that baby wouldn’t make it to adulthood), taken in 1914.

That’s my grandad sitting on his father’s lap, and his older brother off to far left. Those were the only two in that picture I knew in person.
What approx date is that?

Picture from my parent's 12.5 years of marriage celebration. My parents were soon to be divorced, just had a crisis and an argument on the way to the photographer. I , as a 13 year old tried to be invisible and couldn't force a smile. Things went downhill from there. But it's the only picture of me older than 10 where I am visible with my parents together. After that another picture of us all was never made.
361910411_1408841809908676_5955513349167745723_n.jpg

I see a lot of things in this picture, but joy is definitely not it.

Picture from my parent's 12.5 years of marriage celebration. My parents were soon to be divorced, just had a crisis and an argument on the way to the photographer. I , as a 13 year old tried to be invisible and couldn't force a smile. Things went downhill from there. But it's the only picture of me older than 10 where I am visible with my parents together. After that another picture of us all was never made.
View attachment 102634
I see a lot of things in this picture, but joy is definitely not it.
That's so sad. I don't have any photos of my family all together. My parents divorced when I was 8 but we never had any family photos taken.

Here's my brother's saluki that looks so much like yours:
20230718_114954.jpg
20230718_115004.jpg

I don't have a pic of my dad either. Left home when I was 4 never to be seen again. I tracked my dads sister down about 30 years ago. She did well for herself. Her 2 boys bullied her to death. Thet were proper a holes. I nearly stepped in but aunty got me to promise I wouldn't.
Shes been gone 10 years now.
SatNavSaysStraightOn knew her I believe. Margaret Stewart.
Lifes a funny thing eh?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom