The Way We Were

The girl second to the left was my friend for many years and the lad middle row in the brown jumper lives not far and we have bumped into each other on numerous occasions.

I still have several friends from school as a 5yo. My best friend now and I started high school the same year, nearly 50 years ago. I still see occasionally a girl I was friends with as a teen, nothing sexual between us, just good mates. When guys didn't have girl mates!! We grew up together, but we just got on well.

Russ

I still have several friends from school as a 5yo. My best friend now and I started high school the same year, nearly 50 years ago. I still see occasionally a girl I was friends with as a teen, nothing sexual between us, just good mates. When guys didn't have girl mates!! We grew up together, but we just got on well.

Russ

We have all spread far and wide so haven't kept in contact.
I have male friends, my husband has female friends-mates nothing more :)

Russ
There's something in my personality that's very good at compartmentalizing. I don't like work and home to mix, I don't like my family to mix with my wife's family, etc.

I'm the same way with friends. When I first moved away from home, in my mind, that part of my life was over, so to speak, and I wanted to move on, physically and mentally.

I'd come home for a visit, and my mom would say, "You know Bernie, you knew him in high school, he works at the bank now...why don't you go in and make this deposit for me and say hi to him?"

I'd think, "That's the last thing I want to do!" To me, that was my old life, that belonged in a separate box from my current life. I can remember having to go to the grocery store while home, seeing someone I was friends with in school, and dodging them until I saw them leave.

There's something in my personality that's very good at compartmentalizing. I don't like work and home to mix, I don't like my family to mix with my wife's family, etc.

I'm the same way with friends. When I first moved away from home, in my mind, that part of my life was over, so to speak, and I wanted to move on, physically and mentally.

I'd come home for a visit, and my mom would say, "You know Bernie, you knew him in high school, he works at the bank now...why don't you go in and make this deposit for me and say hi to him?"

I'd think, "That's the last thing I want to do!" To me, that was my old life, that belonged in a separate box from my current life. I can remember having to go to the grocery store while home, seeing someone I was friends with in school, and dodging them until I saw them leave.

I'm quite good at compartmentalising too. In my case it borders on anti-social...

A 5 or maybe 6 MyPinchofItaly years old running towards her dad arms

This is MrsT & Me, on the occasion of first meeting my parents in Ohio (she's from NY):

That would have been 1989. I want to point out that while I am, indeed, wearing a fanny pack (quit giggling, Brits!)/bumbag, it's not a fashion faux pas because it's a high-end leather one...none of that cheesy nylon for me. :laugh:

Word of advice, Ladies...when your fiancé's shorts are shorter than yours, you probably should throw him back and cast for another one. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom