The Worst National Cuisines

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
11:16 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Wow......some of the forums talked about foods on there ,Irish full breakfast,good old balut,bangers and mash,American fast food,some countries don't have a food heritage or culture and deserve to have foods listed,bangers and mash can be a great dish top sausages refined mash ,clear pan juices buttered greens ,never mind we can't all like the same!

I liked the irish plate. Yum. I have to admit the food from scandanavian countries turn my stomache. And as for Russia, bleh.

I think the bangers and mash looked delicious, as did the Irish breakfast. I rather resent that it seems people think that the only foods Americans eat are hamburgers and French fries. We don't really have a national cuisine per se, ours is more of a blend of many national cuisines.

The herring and the balut looked disgusting, but there's more to the food of those countries than two items. I'm not a huge fan of Indian food, but so many people love it I don't see how it can be considered one of the worst national cuisines.

I must admit that I'm a fan of many of the things here, including Indian cuisine, an Ulster fry and Vegemite. They are right though, of all the "delicacies" listed, the fast food is definitely the worst.

All I can say is about BALUT. That is the unhatched duck egg that is boiled and eaten with the unhatched duckling. Personally, I don't relish balut but it is okay for me to eat. They say that balut is a test for foreigners. If they really like the Philippines, they should learn how to eat balut. But for those with weak tummy, I guess you should stay away from balut.

I had herring at lunch today. The first barrels of the season were sold last week, so it's pretty fresh right now.

image.jpg

I am amazed that such a list even exists. What anyone likes is their own personal preference and it's inappropriate, and even a little offensive, for someone to create of list of the worst national cuisines. Traditional foods consumed in cultures are based on the things that were available to people in the different regions of the world. Before cooking and canning and supermarkets you had to eat what you could get. I admire cultures where nothing goes to waste. I couldn't do it.

Back
Top Bottom