The Yakiimo Vans of Japan

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
11:33 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
@SatNavSaysStraightOn posted a yummy sounding sweet potato recipe, which made me think about something to tell you all about regarding life in Japan.

In wintertime, these little trucks drive around the streets, playing a little melody - they're not an ice cream truck, but a truck selling roasted sweet potatoes!

I don't have a picture to share with you, but here's a YouTube video so you can see what I'm talking about!

I can attest to the fact their sweet potatoes are delicious, but I was a little bewildered the first time I saw one of these vans, playing the weird chanting song they do!

Just in winter, in some cities (I have occasionally ventured into the smaller ones like Guildford or Chester) we also get stalls or carts rather than vans selling jacket potatoes or roasted sweet chestnuts. They make a nice warming snack when the temperature starts to drop in the early afternoon as the light starts to fade (remember it is dark by 4pm even as far south as Chester!).

That is really cool. We have good trucks through the summer months but nothing like this!

Back
Top Bottom