Thick Boneless Chicken Breasts

Backbay

Über Member
Local time
7:41 PM
Made some skinless/boneless chicken breasts for dinner tonight by dredging in seasoned flour and gentle pan fry. They were horrid. The breasts themselves were so thick that I pounded them out prior to cooking but, the meat was still dense and tough.

When time is not an issue I will make a marinade with teriyaki/pineapple and fresh garlic which helps with tenderizing - what are some of your tricks for tenderizing chicken breasts?

Thanks!
Backbay

Alternately, you can cut the chicken in small bite-sized pieces and stir fry. There's a process called velveting that Chinese restaurants use. Water velveting & the marinade is explained at serioueats.com if you would like to give it a try.

Brine is your friend! If you don't brine or marinade bls/skls chicken breasts they are doomed to be dry and tasteless. You can even inject them with a marinade. I prefer bone in/skin on, well seasoned on the grill.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies - all such good advice I can't wait to try each method. I have brined whole birds before but, it never dawned on me to brine individual pieces. Love the information this board and its members provide. Thank you! Thank you!

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies - all such good advice I can't wait to try each method. I have brined whole birds before but, it never dawned on me to brine individual pieces. Love the information this board and its members provide. Thank you! Thank you!

Well said @Backbay . I have been a member for a relatively short time (less than a year) and cannot tell you how much I have learned from this cooking forum.

Back
Top Bottom