Things on Toast

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:51 AM
In the UK we serve a lot of things on toast: baked beans, eggs scrambled, fried or poached, cheese to name but a few. What are your favourite 'things on toast'? This is my favourite:

images-203.jpeg

I also like a poached egg but on toast (preferably sour dough).

Then there's peanut butter with sliced banana on top
toast with cheese (not always grilled)
hummus (but I tear it into pieces to dip into it)
bruschetta style, i.e. garlic rubbed into it and topped with butter
boursin
....better stop there (this is just what immediately springs to mind!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welsh rarebit. Marcus Wareing recipe with my addition (pancetta lardons). Love it, love it, love it. My bestest lunch.
Oh yes I love welsh rarebit too but I make it without beer - I add some egg instead and a little cayenne pepper to bring out the cheese flavour more. I spread it onto the untoasted side and grill it on a very low heat. I find this method makes it more soft and cheesy (rather than trying to 'fight'/go against the hardness of the toast directly under it).

Couldn't find Marcus Wareing's recipe for this - just said fried egg on top (no mention of pancetta which sounds good).

Couldn't find Marcus Wareing's recipe for this - just said fried egg on top (no mention of pancetta which sounds good).

Yes, Marcus Wareing doesn't use beer either - or I think strictly, ale is the traditional recipe - he uses mead which gives it a slightly sweet background. So essentially, to the basic bechamel sauce, add two egg yolks, English mustard, Worcester Sauce and mead. Yes, when he demoed it he made buck rarebit which is with a fried egg on top, but I was talking about the rarebit itself. I like to crisp up some pancetta lardons and add them to the sauce before spreading it on the toast, and the other thing I do, which I know won't be for everyone but does make it seem a bit more special, is to put a little rocket on top when I serve it. Oh and as everyone says, using the right bread is vital. Marcus Wareing used sourdough, it's a wholemeal granary that I like to use.

Another favourite is cheese on egg on ham on toast. It takes a while to perfect. Toast with a slice of good ham (this needs to be heated under the grill) then a poached egg, then slices of cheese draped over the top. The whole thing put under a high grill until the cheese is melted but the egg yolk is still perfectly runny. So you cut into the molten cheese and the golden yolk cascades...

Another thing I love on toast is mushrooms cooked in butter and garlic with a hint of nutmeg - so that the buttery juice drips into the toast.

I absolutely love mushrooms on toast, in butter, with or without garlic. Rather than nutmeg, I'd rather have a bit of parsley.

There's loads of things I like on toast :
Heinz baked beans.
Cheese. Cheese and chutney, tomato, ham, ham and pineapple.
Marmite. Marmite and scrambled egg. Marmite soldiers for a soft boiled egg.
Eggs of any kind. Cheesy scrambled egg.
Pate. Hummus. Mashed sardines in tomato sauce.
Jam. Marmalade. Peanut butter.

The most important thing about anything on toast is that the toast must be hot and served and eaten immediately.

Back
Top Bottom