This is NOT a dessert, but a vegetable dish that is simple to prepare and elegant to serve.

madebyyouandi

Local time
12:46 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
(Recipe Follows).

I don't have a name for these particular dishes -- I've been making them since university -- and I'd love to hear your ideas on what to call them. (The pic is one of three versions.)

In short, they are raw or roasted vegetables folded into a white sauce. You can add (what I call mix-ins) to enrich the flavors, but they are not needed. These dishes are simple but elegant and are an excellent way to improve any meal.

Here is a link to the video detailing all of the steps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqB1HfK_bw

Base Recipe

1 prebaked tart shell or pastry

2 cups of milk

40 grams of white flour (approx. 4tbs)

56 grams of butter (approx. 3 tbs)

1-2 cups of minced vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots are good options) OR

1 -2 cups roasted vegetables, chopped (such as kabocha, turnips, parsnips)

Salt to taste.

Optional Mix-Ins.

1/2 - 1 cup cheese (parmesan or Swiss cheeses are especially good)

1 teaspoon fresh herbs

1 egg yolk

1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

Minced bacon or ham.

Make the White Sauce.

1. In a saucepan melt the butter.
  2. Add all the flour at once and cook for about 3 minutes.
  3. With a whisk in hand, add all of the milk at once and stir quickly and constantly until the flour mixture is dissolved. (The milk MUST be cold. If the milk is warm, you will create lumps in the sauce.)
  4. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, continue to stir the mixture until it thickens. This should take 2 - 4 minutes over medium heat.
  5. Add all of your minced vegetable and stir to incorporate.
  6. Add in any mix-ins you would like to incorporate.
  7. If you plan to bake, remove from heat and pour into a prepared tart shell and bake for 40 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
  8. If you plan to serve without baking, continue to cook on the stove top for 5-10 minutes stirring constantly to "cook" the vegetable to your liking.
  9. However you prepare it, it will thicken as it cools to room temperature.
  10. Serve at room temperature or cold.
    Note: As a failsafe, you can prepare a mixture of tablespoon corn/potato starch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water. If your sauce is too liquid by the end of cooking (at the end of step 6) begin to add this solution to the mixture and stir vigorously to quickly thicken the sauce.
this is NOT a dessert pie.png

I'd say this was an eggless quiche recipe. As I'm sure you know the vegetables in a quiche are usually set in an egg custard which sets somewhat as the quiche cooks and cools (basically eggs whipped into milk/cream). From what I can see, you have replaced the egg custard with a flour based custard.

I'm a huge fan of quiches. Here is one I made a while back: Recipe - Black Tomato, Cheese & Onion Quiche

I'd say this was an eggless quiche recipe. As I'm sure you know the vegetables in a quiche are usually set in an egg custard which sets somewhat as the quiche cooks and cools (basically eggs whipped into milk/cream). From what I can see, you have replaced the egg custard with a flour based custard.

I'm a huge fan of quiches. Here is one I made a while back: Recipe - Black Tomato, Cheese & Onion Quiche
That's a beautiful photo -- and I love quiche. It's one of those recipes where I throw caution to the wind and use only cream.

Eggless Quiche for this I don't think works because it sets after you pour it (or pipe it). It doesn't need to be baked.

That's a beautiful photo -- and I love quiche. It's one of those recipes where I throw caution to the wind and use only cream.

Eggless Quiche for this I don't think works because it sets after you pour it (or pipe it). It doesn't need to be baked.

It doesn't need to be baked because you are using a pre-baked shell and cooking the custard in a saucepan. If you made it with a blind baked shell then you would pour the white sauce in and bake as you say in Step 7. I think its definitely an eggless quiche!

Merriam Webster dictionary: Quiche
An unsweetened custard pie usually having a savory filling (such as spinach, mushrooms, or ham)

Merriam Webster dictionary: Quiche
An unsweetened custard pie usually having a savory filling (such as spinach, mushrooms, or ham)

I'll take your Merriam Webster dictionary and raise you Wikipedia:

Quiche (/ˈkiːʃ/ KEESH) is a French tart consisting of pastry crust filled with savoury custard and pieces of cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables.
Main ingredients: Pastry case filled with egg and...

Custard. A quiche is first and foremost a custard. This definition includes eggs, so my sense is an egg custard. Now if you want to quibble over egg vs starch as the binding agent, one of us is going to have to go to the French texts for clarification. I'm feeling right on this one. One of us needs to find out what Escoffier says and it's bedtime for me...

Custard. A quiche is first and foremost a custard. This definition includes eggs,

I agree - but there can be custards without eggs. In the UK there are traditional custards made with simply cornflour and milk, for example.

Anyway - I also agree that 'Eggless Quiche' is not the most sexy title for you lovely 'pie' or 'tart'!

I'll take your Merriam Webster dictionary and raise you Wikipedia:

Quiche (/ˈkiːʃ/ KEESH) is a French tart consisting of pastry crust filled with savoury custard and pieces of cheese, meat, seafood or vegetables.
Main ingredients: Pastry case filled with egg and...

Custard. A quiche is first and foremost a custard. This definition includes eggs, so my sense is an egg custard. Now if you want to quibble over egg vs starch as the binding agent, one of us is going to have to go to the French texts for clarification. I'm feeling right on this one. One of us needs to find out what Escoffier says and it's bedtime for me...
When my next order of eggs comes I will be doing a quiche. I love with asparagus and shrooms in mine.

Russ

(Recipe Follows).

I don't have a name for these particular dishes -- I've been making them since university -- and I'd love to hear your ideas on what to call them. (The pic is one of three versions.)

In short, they are raw or roasted vegetables folded into a white sauce. You can add (what I call mix-ins) to enrich the flavors, but they are not needed. These dishes are simple but elegant and are an excellent way to improve any meal.

Here is a link to the video detailing all of the steps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqB1HfK_bw

Base Recipe

1 prebaked tart shell or pastry

2 cups of milk

40 grams of white flour (approx. 4tbs)

56 grams of butter (approx. 3 tbs)

1-2 cups of minced vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots are good options) OR

1 -2 cups roasted vegetables, chopped (such as kabocha, turnips, parsnips)

Salt to taste.

Optional Mix-Ins.

1/2 - 1 cup cheese (parmesan or Swiss cheeses are especially good)

1 teaspoon fresh herbs

1 egg yolk

1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

Minced bacon or ham.

Make the White Sauce.

1. In a saucepan melt the butter.
  2. Add all the flour at once and cook for about 3 minutes.
  3. With a whisk in hand, add all of the milk at once and stir quickly and constantly until the flour mixture is dissolved. (The milk MUST be cold. If the milk is warm, you will create lumps in the sauce.)
  4. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, continue to stir the mixture until it thickens. This should take 2 - 4 minutes over medium heat.
  5. Add all of your minced vegetable and stir to incorporate.
  6. Add in any mix-ins you would like to incorporate.
  7. If you plan to bake, remove from heat and pour into a prepared tart shell and bake for 40 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
  8. If you plan to serve without baking, continue to cook on the stove top for 5-10 minutes stirring constantly to "cook" the vegetable to your liking.
  9. However you prepare it, it will thicken as it cools to room temperature.
  10. Serve at room temperature or cold.
    Note: As a failsafe, you can prepare a mixture of tablespoon corn/potato starch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water. If your sauce is too liquid by the end of cooking (at the end of step 6) begin to add this solution to the mixture and stir vigorously to quickly thicken the sauce.
View attachment 65415
wow, that's so be beautiful to eat,
I am so hungry now

Back
Top Bottom