Tin size confusion

Roger Burton

Local time
9:10 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps ... I really hope I can explain my dilemma ... tin sizes. I have several that are different dimensions, some short and long others high and narrow, I have come across some recipe sites that mention measurements but the tins are wider at the top than the bottom so where do you measure them, others talk about a 1lb or 2lb tin how do I know ? do I fill the tin with dry flour and weigh the flour, I think the simplest answer would be using the volume of the tin ie fill to the top with water and if it's, say, 38 fluid ounces then that would need 1lb of flour (plus the water yeast etc) or whatever ... does anyone know where to find a list of tin VOLUMES to ingredients weight please ?
image.jpg

I'm at a loss here and I fear there is no easy solution. This is made more complicated by metric, imperial and American measures. :ohmy: Help anyone?

I agree mg ... tin sizes are often in 'pounds', recipes in kg, tins taper towards the bottom so do you measure the top or half way down, I make a loaf every few days and stick to amounts and a tin that, after lots of test, works. An interesting dilemma though !

Re measuring a tin - its inside measurements that count. I found this which may be some use - its from a UK site: Baking your loaf in a different cake tin size. I hi-lighted in red the part I think most useful as I assume it applies to round tins too.

What size are 2lb and 1lb loaf tins?
As a rough guide, a 2lb (900g) loaf tin is about 21cm long, 11cm wide and 7cm high (8 x 4 x 3 inches approx) and a 1lb (450g) loaf tin is 16cm long, 11cm wide and 7cm high (6 x 4 x 3 inches). They do vary quite a bit from brand to brand but this should help you understand what you have got if you have one already. Please beware the difference between internal and external measurements, since a protruding lip will affect measurements - try to ignore this when measuring. If you prefer, you can measure the volume of water your tin holds. As a general rule, a 1lb (450g) tin will hold about 1.5 pints (850ml) of water. A 2lb (900g) tin will hold somewhere between 2 pints (1100mls) and 2.5 pints (1400mls); some hold even more, depending on the tin shape.

I understand the dilemma .. but why use a loaf tin? I gave up with them years ago and I find that my bread cooks better just shaped on a baking tray .. and I think it looks more attractive, and it certainly has a better all-round crust.

A loaf made with 375g flour is only a little one - you could make it into a round or a 'torpedo'.

Have a go - and leave your baking tins at the back of the cupboard ..

I initially thought you meant these type of tins. They certainly confuse me here.

I understand the dilemma .. but why use a loaf tin? I gave up with them years ago and I find that my bread cooks better just shaped on a baking tray .. and I think it looks more attractive, and it certainly has a better all-round crust.

A loaf made with 375g flour is only a little one - you could make it into a round or a 'torpedo'.

Have a go - and leave your baking tins at the back of the cupboard ..
Thanks for that, I often make free-form loaves, french sticks, cottages etc but I make a couple of small tins a week for traditional sandwiches.

:ohmy: you are right!

They have recently redesigned the label and it now states "Net Weight 565 g", "Drained Weight 315 g".

I would have thought that if you drained all the liquid from a tim of tomatoes there would hardly be any weight left?

Back
Top Bottom