Tips for making Ham

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
5:53 AM
I plan to have ham for Easter, but I would prefer to do something other than a sugary glaze. I've been trying to cut back on sugar intake in our home, and there will certainly be enough other sources of sugar on Easter.

Does anyone have some tips for making ham without all the gooey, delicious, sugary glazes?

How about just some pineapple slices with a cloved maraschino cherry in each hole & a very light sprinkling of brown sugar all over?
Our mom used to do it like that! :wink:

Last edited:
I have had it that way, Shermie, and it is very good. It looks really pretty that way too. I'm really hoping to get away from sweet stuff though. I have heard of using beer, but I was afraid it would dry out the ham. The pineapple and cherries is very tempting, but I think I'm going to keep trying to find something non-sweet. Thanks for the reply though. I do appreciate it.

Honey is a good replacement for refined sugars,with coarse grain mustard ,cloves,or maybe reduced apple juice honey and nutmeg,five spice or star anise,fresh ginger,cinnamon the aromates are endless but most recipes would be sweet

The best way to make a glaze, for people who want it on their hams, is to use brown sugar mixed with honey, according to Aaron McCargo Jr.! :wink:

Are you trying to keep the ham on the sweeter side but without the added sugar or are you alright with the ham being on the savory side? My in between the two suggestion is to use champagne. If you're leaning more toward the savory I would suggest a grainy mustard, apple cider vinegar, & red eye gravy with onions under the ham. If you're still trying to get the sweet affect without the sugar there's a Diet Dr Pepper ham that might be up your alley. Good luck!

I think that adding some sugar on it helps to offset the sometimes extreme saltiness of the ham.
It's too bad that they don't make low sodium ham! It would be a lot less salty than regular smoked ham. At least I haven't seen any. :mad: :stop:

I always soak my ham in water overnight to remove some of the salt. I can't think of any savoury glazes off the top of my head though - sugar is the main component of most glaze recipes. How about a mustard or peppercorn crust instead?

I always soak my ham in water overnight to remove some of the salt. I can't think of any savoury glazes off the top of my head though - sugar is the main component of most glaze recipes. How about a mustard or peppercorn crust instead?
You still get ham with a funny coloured yellowy breadcrumb sliced in packets in the supermarkets

Are you trying to keep the ham on the sweeter side but without the added sugar or are you alright with the ham being on the savory side? My in between the two suggestion is to use champagne. If you're leaning more toward the savory I would suggest a grainy mustard, apple cider vinegar, & red eye gravy with onions under the ham. If you're still trying to get the sweet affect without the sugar there's a Diet Dr Pepper ham that might be up your alley. Good luck!

We ended up having to postpone our Easter dinner, and we are having it this weekend instead. So, thanks for this. I would definitely try the diet Dr. Pepper (my favorite soda). I think mustard/vinegar idea would probably go over better with everyone else in my family though. That sounds great. I don't know why I didn't think of doing something with mustard. Yum!

Thanks to all, for the ideas.

I have never topped my ham with sugar, but I know some people who put a brown sugar glaze on top. I personally pour a jar of Ham Glaze on mine, you can find it at some of the nicer grocery stores in the marinade aisle. It is a glaze made of cherries and cloves. It is not too sweet and it tastes good.

So far all the replies are thinking about cooked boiled hams,there is of course dry curing hams in salt and spices such as Serrano or Parma ,only a idea,might be worth researching,they can also be smoked,but do take time to dry
I've done this process on duck breasts and done a duck ham

I have never topped my ham with sugar, but I know some people who put a brown sugar glaze on top. I personally pour a jar of Ham Glaze on mine, you can find it at some of the nicer grocery stores in the marinade aisle. It is a glaze made of cherries and cloves. It is not too sweet and it tastes good.

I have tried the ready to use glaze in the past as well. It's not bad. I'm really liking the mustard idea though, so I think I'll play around with that and try to come up with something.

I have tried the ready to use glaze in the past as well. It's not bad. I'm really liking the mustard idea though, so I think I'll play around with that and try to come up with something.

That is true, ham does not have to be made with a sweet marinade. You can always go with a savory or tangy glaze over the top and I think that would be yummy as well. The only thing that I avoid is pineapple because I can't stand cooked pineapple. The only way I will eat pineapple is if it is fresh.

Back
Top Bottom