To "like" or not "like"

cookieee

Local time
12:37 PM
On another forum, they do not want us to "like" what has been posted. They also do not think it is necessary to "thank" someone. I'm sorry, that is not how I was raised. What do you all think of these "no,no's"?

Overall, where forums are concerned, I say it's best to follow the rules, conventions, and culture of the forum in question.

I like the like button, sometimes I want to kind of thank them, one site I'm on you can't thank at all. It ticks me off. One site you have to be logged in. Some sites I like to just check in and see what folks are doing. I'm on a few food, cars, V8s and motor bike sites.

Russ

To me, and I guess a lot of this was the way I was raised, minding your p's and q's is normal. Saying thank you and meaning it is just good manners. Using the like button if you like the post to me is just normal.

But from a personal point of view, I'm not one for clicking like on absolutely everything to let yourself know you've read it. That's what the mark read, mark unread button is for.

I use the 'like' button a lot as a way of saying thanks - but sometimes more so the poster knows I've read what they posted. On our stats (behind the scenes) we can see the number of likes and posts on a graph plotted over time. Usually the likes are more or less in line with posts (with less likes than actual posts). Occasionally they wildly differ for no apparent reason! See below: This is August 2018 to now. The oddity is May 2019.:scratchhead:

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 10.29.57.png

I like the set up here, where you can actually see who likes your post. Some places you have to open the user CP.

Depends on how the site is set up. My knee-jerk reaction is to say thank you. Some posts are repeatedly "empty posts" with repeated comments like - I agree and +1. They take up space & don't add anything.

I wish we could add a smilie with our likes. Or a giggle somehow. lol

Back
Top Bottom