To Whisk or Fork-Mix?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:10 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I don't think I've developed the proper wrist action to use whisks efficiently. However, since that's the case, I bring out the forks. Large or regular, depending on the dish at hand.

Anyone else have a preference, or would it depend on the dish?

Anyone have suggestions for helping one to improve whisking skills so as to be better than (at least some) fork skills?

Oh, and I've noticed some Japanese chefs will rely on using chopsticks for said mixing functions? Thoughts? (PS, I have no problems whatsoever using chopsticks for eating. In fact, at one Korean restaurant a few years back the server wanted me to use a fork/Western implements because of course I couldn't use Korean chopsticks - and I proceeded to prove him wrong enough that he backed off, and gave me some compliments....) But TBH, I haven't tried COOKING with chopsticks yet.

For omelettes or scrambled egg - I definitely use a fork. For whisking egg-white - a whisk. For making a sauce - a whisk. Hmm... not sure what I use a fork for except eggs.

I use a fork for 'beating' eggs for scrambled egg. I do wonder sometimes about using a hand held whisk - referred to as a rotary beater in my family growing up - as the fork method doesn't fully mix the egg and the yolk, but a fork is so much more convenient than a whisk and much easier to clean.

the fork method doesn't fully mix the egg and the yolk,

That is true - but should the egg be totally mixed for scrambled egg? I'm not sure but I know that the desirable result should be creamy curds. Maybe if the egg was beaten with a whisk it would be too smooth.

I use a fork, and I know the standard is to mix the egg until it's one homogenous liquid, but I personally like mine about half-mixed - I like to see streaks of white in my scrambled eggs. :)

Fork for scrambled eggs. I don't like streaks or white . A whisk for most other things. Not egg whites - a mixer for that.

Usually with my small or baby whip or a fork.

I use a fork, and I know the standard is to mix the egg until it's one homogenous liquid, but I personally like mine about half-mixed - I like to see streaks of white in my scrambled eggs. :)
I have to mention, this topic got me looking at scrambled egg videos and I watched a short one with Anthony Bourdain, and he did what I like to do - he left streaks of white in his mixed egg.

Back
Top Bottom