Recipe Toasted Coconut-Cinnamon Ice Cream

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:18 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
The weather was somewhat warm this weekend, and Kroger had eggs for half pice, so I had no choice but to make my first ice cream of the year.

tqrmEEJmQWGKSJbs3heZ_IMG_0540.jpg

Instead of my usual recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-ice-cream-527593) I decided to add in a cup of shaved coconut. To deepen the flavor, I toasted it in a pan with butter until it browned slightly. I think I could have gone darker with the toasting, but I didn't want to burn it. Looking at it, you can't even tell there's coconut in the ice cream...until you eat it, that is. I'm glad we have a freezer in my office so I can have it with my lunch.

:soup:<-- I think we need an ice cream eating smilie.
  • 1 quart half-and-half
  • 1 quart fat-free half-and-half
  • 2 cups unbleached cane sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean split and scraped
  • 6 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 12 large egg yolks
Directions
  1. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the half-and-half, sugar, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla bean with pulp. Bring to a simmer.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks in a slow stream, gradually whisking to combine, until smooth. Whisk in the cinnamon powder until fully integrated.
  3. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan of liquid and whisk until incorporated. Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
  4. Pour the mixture into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. This will prevent a skin from forming while cooling.
  5. Cool the mixture completely. Process the mixture according the ice cream machines instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

You actually can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. Here's one way:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/making-ice-crea-1/

I should update my recipe to say this, but as I prepare to pour it in the ice cream maker, I check it every hour or so and scrape the sides of the bowl as it starts to freeze. I like to get it in a milkshake-type consistency before I churn it. You can do this until it's frozen, and it'll taste just as good. The thing you miss, however, is the consistency of churned ice cream. And, you may require heavy equipment to chip off pieces of it, depending on how cold your freezer is, because is does freeze solid if it hasn't been churned.

This looks like a good reason to dig out and break in the ice cream maker. I was given one as a gift a few years ago, but never got around to using it.

Thanks, LNG.

Thank you!

You actually can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. Here's one way:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/making-ice-crea-1/

I should update my recipe to say this, but as I prepare to pour it in the ice cream maker, I check it every hour or so and scrape the sides of the bowl as it starts to freeze. I like to get it in a milkshake-type consistency before I churn it. You can do this until it's frozen, and it'll taste just as good. The thing you miss, however, is the consistency of churned ice cream. And, you may require heavy equipment to chip off pieces of it, depending on how cold your freezer is, because is does freeze solid if it hasn't been churned.

Thanks for this! I will have a go. I will need to make space in my freezer first! :laugh:

Yup. You'd see those old wooden buckets with the double liner and hand crank on top years ago.

When my son was really small, we were sharing a bowl of ice cream and having a chat about history, so I told him that it was our Norwegian ancestors who had invented it. He completely believed that we were direct descendents of the great viking king named Haagen Dazs...

When I get an ice cream machine, this just might be the first ice cream that I'll make!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom