Toasting on an open fire

cefmac

Veteran
Local time
9:03 PM
When I was a kid, I always went on "sausage sizzles" with the Brownies, where we would go into the woods and cook food on an open fire. There were the obvious foods, like sausages and burgers, but we also like to toast little sweets, like gummi bears and marshmallows. They tasted so good when they were melted! I've always been fond of toasting bread on an open fire as well, and it's something I always did at my grandparents' house in the winter when I was younger. It tastes so good when hot, slightly charred and slathered with salted butter.

Do you have any favourite treats to cook on an open fire, or childhood memories, to share?

Marshmallows and sausages were my main treats for open fire fun time when I was a teenager.

However while my family use to take me countryside most weekends while I was child, in my teen years the open fire usually was lit in our own backyard, never at a forest or elsewhere.

My dad used to take me camping as a kid, and we would usually fish for trout, which we would cook by impaling them on sticks and setting them by the campfire. To this day I've never had fish that tasted as good as a fresh-caught trout cooked over a campfire. I think it was the freshness of the trout that made it so delicious, as well as the smokiness the wood fire would impart on the meat. The trout would be dead for only about an hour before we ate it.

The trout an a stick sounds really good, the last time I went fishing we were at a dam where the rules said that we have to throw the fist back after weighing it so we could not eat them. We made a nice chicken flattie on a fire for lunch with BBQ marinade. I also enjoy putting marshmallows on a skewer and roasting them abit, we have a little silly competition when we do that to see who can get 5 roasted 'skins' from their marshie before it get's really small, lol, good times. I also enjoy making what we South-Africans call 'braai-breadies', which is basically a cheese onion and tomato sandwhich toasted over the fire, they rock!

Hotdogs and marshmallows are all I remember ever toasting on an open fire. I'm not much of a camping person so I don't do this alot.

We only have that open fire activity when camping. Our favorite to roast on an open fire is hotdog on stick with marshmallows. Sometimes we will have sausages and fish as well depends on our trip for that day.

Not much for camping either as a child or as an adult, but when I was a kid we lived on the beach and it was common in summer for someone to get a fire going and do skewered sardines over the coals. Best thing ever :)

Back
Top Bottom