Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another pain rouge today - 400g of MCF (strong white with rye flour, sunflower and lin seeds) and 200g of einkorn

Another yummy focaccia - no cheese on it this evening. I've almost come to the end of my spelt flour too. I shall have to put some pressure on my supplier to order some more

Great work! 6 strand? What is the braiding 'sequence'?
I don't know if I understand your question exactly, as I always have to look up "Braiding For The Really, Really Thick" whenever I braid bread.

It's a basic egg bread. The recipe is for one loaf, so after the first rise and punch down, I cut off a third of the dough and set that piece aside.

Next, I took the larger bit, divided it into three pieces, and fashioned each into a 12" rope. I braided those by going left under center, then right under the new center, and repeating.

After that, I took the small bit of dough I had left and worked that into three very narrow 14" ropes and braided them the same way.

Last step was to place the long, skinny loaf on top of the shorter, fatter loaf, tuck everything in, and let it rise.

It looked fab going into the oven, but the rise in the oven was a little uneven, or maybe I didn't have the thing distributed evenly, so it slid a little.

I don't know if I understand your question exactly, as I always have to look up "Braiding For The Really, Really Thick" whenever I braid bread.

It's a basic egg bread. The recipe is for one loaf, so after the first rise and punch down, I cut off a third of the dough and set that piece aside.

Next, I took the larger bit, divided it into three pieces, and fashioned each into a 12" rope. I braided those by going left under center, then right under the new center, and repeating.

After that, I took the small bit of dough I had left and worked that into three very narrow 14" ropes and braided them the same way.

Last step was to place the long, skinny loaf on top of the shorter, fatter loaf, tuck everything in, and let it rise.

It looked fab going into the oven, but the rise in the oven was a little uneven, or maybe I didn't have the thing distributed evenly, so it slid a little.

Oh I see - you made two separate 3 strand plaits. There are techniques (sequences) for plaiting 6 or 8 strands all at once, so I wondered if you had followed one of those methods.

Oh I see - you made two separate 3 strand plaits. There are techniques (sequences) for plaiting 6 or 8 strands all at once, so I wondered if you had followed one of those methods.
I think the most I've ever done is four, but I rarely make braided bread.

90% of the bread we eat is for toast or sandwiches, and braided bread, while it looks nice, isn't practical for us for that. It won't fit into the toaster without cutting and for lunchmeats and cheese, which are largely rounds or squares, I end up having to trim either the bread or the filling. Works for spreads, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom