Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered this one today:

Amazon.com - Now Designs 5003004aa 5003004 Small Bread Bin, Ivory -

A little window into how my brain works:

I found that other one yesterday on King Arthur Flour, my usual go-to for all things baking-related. I thought, "Yeah, if I ever get one, it'll be like that. It's small enough, I can sit it on top of my bread board, so it won't be taking up any more space. That's if I ever get one, mind. I don't really have to have it. One of these days, maybe."

I went back this morning, pulled it up again, and they're now sold out. That's when my brain said:

"Don't take that from them, Tasty! You get on Amazon and you find another one! A better one! And you order it right the <bleep> now! NOW! I don't care if it costs a million dollars, you order it! Don't let King Arthur and the bread box hoarding hoarders push you around! No sir! Order it! Order IT! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, ORDER THAT <BLEEP>ER-<BLEEP>ING BREAD BOX!!!"

My brain has a potty mouth. ☺

Is it soda bread?
I say that it is, as the ingredients are flour, salt, baking soda, and buttermilk, but the recipe I used says it's "Irish brown bread, a relative of Irish soda bread."

I scored it a bit too deeply, probably, which is probably why it looks like a pile of 💩. I've made it several times before and I like it, though it definitely has a strong whole wheat taste.

I made potato soup for my mom and dad last night (running that over to them today), and we're having bangers and mash tonight, so I quickly threw this together and half will go to them and I'll keep half for us.

I wrap mine in a tea towel and put it into our metal bread bin. We always cut the end off (so you have a crust and use that held against the open end off the bread so by the time you finish the loaf, you have 2 ends to eat. Whilst you don't get the it was baked 2 hours ago texture, the texture stays pretty much the same after day 1, so its always a case of 'yesterday's' bread.

I wrap mine in a tea towel and put it into our metal bread bin. We always cut the end off (so you have a crust and use that held against the open end off the bread so by the time you finish the loaf, you have 2 ends to eat. Whilst you don't get the it was baked 2 hours ago texture, the texture stays pretty much the same after day 1, so its always a case of 'yesterday's' bread.
I was doing the tea towel thing (technically, a flour sack towel, which is thinner than a tea towel, more like cheesecloth or muslin), but I was reading a few things over the last couple of days and the consensus was, if you're using a bread box that has some kind of venting, then the tea towel isn't necessary and could be a bit detrimental.

Since this is a round loaf and half is going to the folks, I cut it down the middle last night, so I could get both halves in my box, and I didn't wrap it. I do have the flour sack towel on the bottom, just to trap crumbs. This morning, I can report that the cut sides of the loaf are as soft as a baby's butt, so that's a good start.

I will add that, after 24 hours, unwrapped, in the bread box, my Irish brown soda bread is still nicely soft. Liking the bread box so far...

I'm going to try to make bread again, I'll try the yeast to see if it foams first. If not, bapow.

Russ
Just make sure you have your water the right temp. Too cold or too hot, it won't work. Yeast is like Goldilocks, it's got to be just right. :)

if you're using a bread box that has some kind of venting, then the tea towel isn't necessary and could be a bit detrimental.
Our bread bin doesn't have venting, though I didn't know about the difference. I've never had a bread bin with venting out any kind (other than someone leaving the lid off :whistling:

Tepid is what I'm trying later, just had an omelette for lunch, yummy.

Russ
Depending on how you're planning to use it, and the kind of yeast it is, you might need to be a bit warmer than tepid. If you've had a problem getting the yeast to go foamy in the past, that may very well be your issue.

I'd recommend actually taking the temp of the water and get it in the range the yeast directions say. For the dry yeasts that I use, that's around 115F/46C.

I'd recommend actually taking the temp of the water and get it in the range the yeast directions say. For the dry yeasts that I use, that's around 115F/46C.

With the instant yeasts here you don't need to pre-mix and froth them. You add it direct to the flour and then add warmish water. If you use colder water it will take longer to rise, but to my knowledge unless the water is ice cold it won't actually kill the yeast.

I got the stuff to make prosciutto bread yesterday. I love using the app to order meat from the deli so it's ready and I don't have to stand in line. Going to make the cannellini bean/basil pesto that I used on the focaccia I made recently to use as a spread.

Focaccia
2020-04-07 19.21.56.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom