Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with a recipe! Can't find anything like it anywhere. I want to alter my home made pancake recipe to use as a bread recipe. So when I get ready I can make batter and pour a few slices up on my griddle. Pancake consistency is close... i see lots of people using pancakes for breakfast sandwiches... but I want the griddle cooked bread to taste more like store bought white bread. My current pancake recipe looks like this:
2 cups self rising flour
2 cups milk or buttermilk
¹/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg
Any ideas on how to change this from breakfast to a more versatile all around white bread?

Maybe you could cut off both egg and melted butter, and adding Oil

Cut

I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself....I finally managed to get a sourdough starter going, and made my first loaf with it :woot:

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to get a starter going, but I followed Bake with Jack's method and amazingly this time it worked. I also like the fact that I don't need to throw away half the starter each time I feed it - I hate waste!

The bread came out a strange shape, but it was absolutely delicious and tasted perfect. Hopefully the banneton I've ordered will arrive before its time to make the next loaf :okay:
zIfyHIel.jpg

I did make a white sandwich loaf yesterday. Slightly better than what I've been turning out with this goofy off-brand flour I bought, but still not up to what I usually turn out. It doesn't even look right.

Halfway through the bag. Using it up as quickly as I can.

I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself....I finally managed to get a sourdough starter going, and made my first loaf with it :woot:

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to get a starter going, but I followed Bake with Jack's method and amazingly this time it worked. I also like the fact that I don't need to throw away half the starter each time I feed it - I hate waste!

The bread came out a strange shape, but it was absolutely delicious and tasted perfect. Hopefully the banneton I've ordered will arrive before its time to make the next loaf :okay:
View attachment 40680

That is fabulous. Its got the authentic holes and a really brown crust. Despite following the Bake with Jack method I've failed more than once. You deserve a big round of applause. :bravo:

That is fabulous. Its got the authentic holes and a really brown crust. Despite following the Bake with Jack method I've failed more than once. You deserve a big round of applause. :bravo:
I was a bit worried at the beginning of day 4 when it didn't seem to be doing anything - thought I was going to have another failure on my hands. But then I decided to put it somewhere a lot warmer for a few hours and that seemed to do the trick of getting it going :okay:

Yes - it just helps it hold the 'stick' shape.

Its 'mould' not 'mold' in the UK. Mold is US spelling but maybe it is how you spell it in NZ?

Lol, I actually typed mould, looked at it and thought is it mould or Mold. ? I retyped it. Maybe I should have left it.? Maybe I read too many murican sites?

Ross

Pun intended :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom