Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry - I know people do use bread flour in the USA but my possibly mistaken understanding was that a lot of people don't and maybe its not so easily available in supermarkets? I do see a lot of US recipes that use AP.
Someone who's an occasional baker might not use it, but it's as common as muck - my dinky local Kroger carries at least three brands of bread flour (Pillsbury, Gold Medal, King Arthur), and probably a couple of other brands that I normally don't notice.

This should rightly be called "Yesterday's Bread," because I made it then. I'm back to a name-brand flour and...POOF!...just like that, my bread is better.

Quick question: anybody know what causes that kind of splotchy, faded discoloration on top? I used to not get that very often, but now I'm seeing it a lot more frequently.

This should rightly be called "Yesterday's Bread," because I made it then. I'm back to a name-brand flour and...POOF!...just like that, my bread is better.

Quick question: anybody know what causes that kind of splotchy, faded discoloration on top? I used to not get that very often, but now I'm seeing it a lot more frequently.

I honestly don't know. Could it simply be flour adhering to the exterior? Probably not...

I honestly don't know. Could it simply be flour adhering to the exterior? Probably not...
I don't think so, because by the time I shape it, there's no flour on the board. I guess it could be microscopic flour bits, but I don't know.

It's a hard thing to google for as well.

TastyReuben do you bake with steam? I don't really know what it is either but I've had the same occasionally.

You could try sending your photo to breadsos@bakewithjack.co.uk - he might be able to tell you whats causing it. On his youtube channel he often replies to problems people have sent in to him.
Sometimes I do use steam, but generally not for sandwich bread.

'A few days ago now' bread with beer in the mix:

Cheese on toast with chilli flakes:

Ok, according to the internet, the answer is...a reaction between the bread dough, the cooking spray, and the plastic wrap.

Once I punch down a loaf, shape it, and put it in a loaf pan, I usually spray a piece of plastic wrap with a bit of cooking spray, and place that over the loaf pan. Apparently, that's what causes the mottled appearance.

Next loaf I bake, I'll just cover it with a floured towel or something like that and see what happens.

I usually spray a piece of plastic wrap with a bit of cooking spray, and place that over the loaf pan. Apparently, that's what causes the mottled appearance.

Why are you doing that? OK - I suppose you feel you should cover it? Unless you are doing the second rise for ages there is no need really. Dust the top with flour and leave it to be until it rises up again.

Why are you doing that? OK - I suppose you feel you should cover it? Unless you are doing the second rise for ages there is no need really. Dust the top with flour and leave it to be until it rises up again.
Because every recipe I've ever used for sandwich says to cover it for both the first and second rise. :)

Second rise is usually an hour. I don't like dusting flour on top if I can help it because, even though it makes a pretty picture and looks oh-so-rustic, it leaves the top tasting dry and powdery, to me anyway.

It occurs to me that I haven't noticed this until recently because I used to always do a milk, butter, or egg wash on all my loaves, but I'd stopped out of laziness, mainly.

I never cover for the second rise. It generally doesn't take long enough to dry it out.

Notice, no splotches of discoloration. I was watching Jacques Pepin bake bread a few weeks ago, and once he set the dough out on a baking sheet for the second rise, he set a big plastic tub over it.

Following that example, I put the dough in the loaf pan, then put a mixing bowl over it. Seemed to work.

Because every recipe I've ever used for sandwich says to cover it for both the first and second rise. :)

Second rise is usually an hour. I don't like dusting flour on top if I can help it because, even though it makes a pretty picture and looks oh-so-rustic, it leaves the top tasting dry and powdery, to me anyway.

It occurs to me that I haven't noticed this until recently because I used to always do a milk, butter, or egg wash on all my loaves, but I'd stopped out of laziness, mainly.
A master baker I heard on the radio today spoke about this. He said never cover with plastic, slow down the first rise by lowering the temperature - overnight in the fridge is good. If the top of the loaf goes funny it's because the dough is too wet. All of this is way beyond my level of expertise, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom