Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beg to differ. 'Authentically' or 'traditionally' (please note parentheses) a Fougasse should be rather oily in nature. Here is Paul Hollywood's which I've used:

Fresh herb fougasse recipe
Either or, makes me no difference. I've made my opinion about "traditional" known before.

To recap - I have less than zero respect for what's "traditional," nor did I make any claims about being traditional with the bread. I'm just pointing out what the recipe says.

I raved about TastyReuben's recommended "40 minute hamburger bun" recipe yesterday.

40-Minute Hamburger Buns

I was really anxious about making hamburger buns but I gave it a whirl and it worked wonderfully. I'm including all the steps for any newbies that come along and are anxious about it too.

1. I learned that my microwave heats water to about 150 degrees so I kept adding small ice chips until it reached about 112 degrees.

2. I used two packets of yeast which is a little less than the 2 TBsp called for in the recipe. I just didn't want to have too much or leftovers by opening the third one.

3. I thought I messed up the yeast because I let it sit for about three minutes before adding the sugar and oil. Turns out it was fine.

4. The dough was a bit wet but I had just enough flour to make it work.

5. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to let them rise over heat (preheating the oven) or at room temperature so I moved the covered baking tray to the stove top. I have no logical reason for this other than I ran out of counter space. ;-)

6. I started with the 8 minutes and added 2. Ovens vary so I just added time until they were golden.

7. I divided mine into 8ths instead of 12ths) because I couldn't find my second baking sheet. The size was perfect for the burgers.

I didn't want to add fries so I opted for greens beans (with garlic, red onion and a hint of fresh orange juice).

A friend helped and had lunch with me and she raved about the buns. I don't think I can ever taste another store bought bun or fast food bun and not crave these. I will be making them in the future, for sure.

And, the best part is I'm not afraid of yeast now! ;-0

Easy-peasy! Everything looks great.

What I do for the rise...I have a space heater set up in a back room, and I turn it on high when I first start getting the ingredients together. That room probably gets to around 80F by the time I set the buns out to rise, so it works perfectly.

Reactions: mjd
That makes sense. I don't know how you stand the kitchen getting that hot. I had a fan (called "The Wind Machine" and lives up to its name ;-) blasting on me the whole time. ;-0

Thanks again for your patient and encouragement!

That makes sense. I don't know how you stand the kitchen getting that hot. I had a fan (called "The Wind Machine" and lives up to its name ;-) blasting on me the whole time. ;-0

Thanks again for your patient and encouragement!
It's not the kitchen, it's a back room (MrsT's office, actually). She likes heat anyway, so no complaints from her.

My kitchen is the coldest room in the house. In the winter, it stays around 62F.

Since we moved out of Split to Podstrana we don't bother baking bread. We have six non chain local bakeries all using wood fired ovens. They open at 06. 00 and close at 09.00. They then re open at 14.00 hrs and close at 17.00 hrs. They also close early if they sell out. which is often. This is not one of ours. It seems to specialize in Lepinje
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqyxNfFL5Q&ab_channel=AlJazeeraBalkans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom