Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use a common knife, making sure is sharp enough. It used to work in my previous bread makings.

My ex-wife was an excellent baker. She used a razor blade until she discovered my graphic artist's Exacto knife -- an not putting it back. I ended up buying another one for her. :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 8.43.51 PM.png

CD

Well-pleased with these pretzel buns:

I was irritated that Kroger was out of these (something I've never seen happen). I was stewing about it, then I thought, "Wait a minute...you've made pretzels...you've made buns...surely you can make pretzel buns!"

So I did! :laugh:

These are excellent to eat and easy to make, so they're going into my regular rotation.

View attachment 60375

View attachment 60376

I was irritated that Kroger was out of these (something I've never seen happen). I was stewing about it, then I thought, "Wait a minute...you've made pretzels...you've made buns...surely you can make pretzel buns!"

These are excellent to eat and easy to make, so they're going into my regular rotation.
Ooh gorgeous 💖

My ex-wife was an excellent baker. She used a razor blade until she discovered my graphic artist's Exacto knife -- an not putting it back. I ended up buying another one for her. :rolleyes:

View attachment 60063

CD

Yeah - there is a bread tool called a 'lame' which is basically similar to this.

View attachment 60375

View attachment 60376

They look splendid. What is the technique/ingredient which makes them differ from regular buns?

So, some people have told me that bread flour for baking bread is unnecessary and others swear by it. I had read that because of the higher protein content it makes a better loaf and stands higher without as much risk of falling flat during the rise. Other sources insisted it made no difference. I previously had just been using AP flour since I had it on hand and I was just starting out with baking a few loaves from scratch, trying out different recipes. I had bought some bread flour but was using up the last of the AP flour (well I kept a little in the canister for other things). Yesterday I baked a loaf with the bread flour. Yup, it makes a difference alright. The loaf was fluffier, softer, and higher than the previous loaves. I am pretty happy about the way it turned out. I will be using bread flour from now on unless I run out.

Here's my beautiful buttermilk and honey white bread (I have an extra long loaf pan):

Last edited:
I had read that because of the higher protein content it makes a better loaf and stands higher without as much risk of falling flat during the rise.

Bread flour has higher gluten content which produces the stretch when kneaded and the structure as it rises - so, it rises better and keeps its shape. I'm one of those that swear by it but would use plain (AP) flour if I had nothing else.

Bread flour has higher gluten content which produces the stretch when kneaded and the structure as it rises - so, it rises better and keeps its shape. I'm one of those that swear by it but would use plain (AP) flour if I had nothing else.
I even thought about mixing it together, maybe 1 part AP and 2 parts bread flour, just to "stretch" it out a little longer, LOL. It is slightly more expensive than AP. I might give it a whirl and see if it makes the bread not quite as good, then switch back to bread flour alone if that's the case.

Last edited:
I always bake from recipes, so I use what the recipe at hand suggests, which means sometimes bread flour, sometimes AP flour, though lately I've gotten into the habit of substituting in 50% white whole wheat flour in everything.

I won't say that I don't see a difference, but I will say I don't mind the difference. I have a few pizza doughs I make, and those call for either AP or bread flour, and with those, I both see a difference and I mind the difference. AP flour just doesn't make the "right" NY-style pizza I'm looking for. It seems in that case, bread flour works ok as a substitute for AP flour, but not the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom