Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh at hominy. She doesn't even care for regular corn, and hominy is...weird tasting.
I think she's indicated before, way in the distant past of 2019, possibly, that she can't get tinned hominy, only dried, so she was...intrigued.

That, or I imagined it all in a hominy-themed fever dream. :laugh:

I will eat grits, not my favorite, but hominy itself is yucky, lol. I guess it would be ok if it stays in the tin. She could put it on a shelf and leave it there!

I will eat grits, not my favorite, but hominy itself is yucky, lol. I guess it would be ok if it stays in the tin. She could put it on a shelf and leave it there!
I love hominy, drowned in butter and covered in pepper.

Maybe I'll give it another try sometime. The last time I had it was 30 years ago and I found it starchy and unpalatable. But maybe my tastes have changed? I know, I'll try hominy and you try shrimp or crab!
I'm good, thanks. :laugh:

My first attempt at pumpernickel bread. I just kneaded it for the first rise:

After 1st rise:

Okay, I am horrible with recipes, and in the past I could tell when my bread was done was by looking at it, because I only baked white bread and when it was the right color of brown is was done. And I am still a relative newbie at that though I do like the white bread I make. With dark dough I had to set a timer. I also scored my bread for the first time and it's not pretty, LOL. Almost done baking, will upload a photo of the finished loaf shortly.
Well it tastes ok, not fabulous but good enough for using as a dipping bread for my spinach dip. Next time I'll try a different recipe.

Okay, so after eating a piece of that bread warm from the oven, I went to run errands. When I came home I tried it again. I changed my mind. I slathered some cool, creamy spinach dip on a slice and whoa, that's good. I could really pick up on the complex flavors of cocoa and coffee. I used the last of my maple syrup to make this (I didn't detect any maple flavor, however), I will make it again with a different kind of dark sweet substance next time.

Last edited:
My first attempt at pumpernickel bread. I just kneaded it for the first rise:
View attachment 70129
After 1st rise:
View attachment 70131
Okay, I am horrible with recipes, and in the past I could tell when my bread was done was by looking at it, because I only baked white bread and when it was the right color of brown is was done. And I am still a relative newbie at that though I do like the white bread I make. With dark dough I had to set a timer. I also scored my bread for the first time and it's not pretty, LOL. Almost done baking, will upload a photo of the finished loaf shortly.
Well it tastes ok, not fabulous but good enough for using as a dipping bread for my spinach dip. Next time I'll try a different recipe.
View attachment 70140
Okay, so after eating a piece of that bread warm from the oven, I went to run errands. When I came home I tried it again. I changed my mind. I slathered some cool, creamy spinach dip on a slice and whoa, that's good. I could really pick up on the complex flavors of cocoa and coffee. I used the last of my maple syrup to make this (I didn't detect any maple flavor, however), I will make it again with a different kind of dark sweet substance next time.
View attachment 70147
View attachment 70146

Looks good to me, though personally I don't add any sweet substance to bread made with rye, except for black treacle sometimes which I think this is the equivalent of molasses in America (though not quite the same).

Looks good to me, though personally I don't add any sweet substance to bread made with rye, except for black treacle sometimes which I think this is the equivalent of molasses in America (though not quite the same).
It's a tablespoon, not enough sweetness to make the bread sweet. I think the yeast needs a little sugar? I wasn't complaining about the lack of maple flavor, I don't like maple so I was glad. It's just that the recipe called for a tbsp of molasses, which I don't have. I think the dark is just an addition to enhance the color and honey would have been fine. So i had used the last of the maple syrup (I used it to make granola for my husband, not for me) and I don't plan on buying more of it. I'll probably use a tbsp of honey next time.

It's just that the recipe called for a tbsp of molasses,

If black molasses tastes anything like black treacle then it does add a very distinctive flavour to rye bread. Its sort of burnt tasting and almost like liquorice. If using instant yeast you don't need sugar - or at least you don't need it if its the sort of dried yeast that gets mixed straight into the flour.

Here's a rye bread I made: Recipe - Charcoal Rye Bread

If black molasses tastes anything like black treacle then it does add a very distinctive flavour to rye bread. Its sort of burnt tasting and almost like liquorice. If using instant yeast you don't need sugar - or at least you don't need it if its the sort of dried yeast that gets mixed straight into the flour.

I think the strong coffee and unsweetened cocoa made a pretty distinctive and strong flavor, maybe the sweet balances it out. Many of the recipes called for lesser amounts of cocoa and no coffee at all. I liked this one for the lack of caraway seeds and the addition of coffee was interesting. I noticed yours has coffee also.

Not sure where I could find treacle but it sounds like something I wouldn't use much. I'll only make this bread a few times of year probably, so not buying molasses either.

Oh and I didn't use instant yeast.

Black treacle and molasses are the same thing, you Brits just call it by the wrong name. :wink:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom