Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a good idea. We’re due an Amish market run here soon, so I should check that. They sell all kinds of dry bulk stuff.

I ended up getting Bob’s Red Mill, but that stuff is something like $8 for a pound or so of flour I’ve made one small loaf, and a quarter of that flour is already gone.
Yeah, I know. Ridiculous gouging at regular grocery stores for Bob's. It's a good brand, but not worth what they charge. They wanted a lot for their semolina, too.

The market I went to where rye flour was inexpensive is Beiler's Dutch Penn, lol.

Last edited:
My wife hates bread and wont agree to a breadmaker!!
Btw did I mention I call her the kommandant lol.

Russ
No seafood, no bread, you poor seagull.

Get one of the grandkids to lobby in your favor.

Shes always worried about her weight. Shes prolly only 10kgs heavier than I met her.
Women huh?

Russ
Just remind her what makes the rockin’ world go round, and butter her another piece of bread:

:wink:

Has anyone ever overworked their bread, and is that a thing? I am baking a loaf of bread and it must be humid in my house today, because I kept having to add more flour to the stand mixer to get the dough right. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but is it possible the bread dough was overworked and what happens if so? Will it be tough? Thanks!

Has anyone ever overworked their bread, and is that a thing? I am baking a loaf of bread and it must be humid in my house today, because I kept having to add more flour to the stand mixer to get the dough right. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but is it possible the bread dough was overworked and what happens if so? Will it be tough? Thanks!

Its almost impossible to over knead dough by hand but it is possible if you use a mixer. If so. it will be dense in texture and possibly tough. I think all you can do is leave it to prove for much longer in the hope it will lighten the structure.

Its almost impossible to over knead dough by hand but it is possible if you use a mixer. If so. it will be dense in texture and possibly tough. I think all you can do is leave it to prove for much longer in the hope it will lighten the structure.
Yeah, it's a Mother's Day loaf. I haven't cut into it yet, we aren't having dinner for about another hour. I already baked it, it proofed well but it did fall slightly while baking. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Uodate: it turned out pretty good, not the best I've made but not bad!

Last edited:
How was it? It looks fine.
It was a little chewier than normal and had a denser crust, but I actually liked that, and slathered with some Kerry's Gold it was quite enjoyable. I just put my hubby's fried eggs atop a toasted piece of it and he liked it. Guess we will be having sandwiches, toast, etc. for the rest of the week, LOL!

Edited to add that normally my loaves look like spun cotton candy inside and have a very light texture. I do like that as well but this was quite good in a different way.

Last edited:
Edited to add that normally my loaves look like spun cotton candy inside and have a very light texture. I do like that as well but this was quite good in a different way.

I don't think I ever made bread that looks like spun cotton candy inside. You will have to tell us the secret.

One good thing about homemade bread: even if everything goes wrong and it doesn’t rise, and you forgot the salt, and it collapses…it’ll always make breadcrumbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom