Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I ever made bread that looks like spun cotton candy inside. You will have to tell us the secret.
I don't know how it happens. It's magical! I do use bread flour when I make bread and I had run out, so what I was using to add to the mixer was AP flour so maybe that's why it came out so differently? Breadmaking is so complex and I don't understand all of the science behind it so well.

I haven't been making bread for that long, so I have been pleased when it comes out so perfect. That wasn't always the case, but most of the time it's quite beautiful. Next time I make a great loaf I will make sure to take some photos of the interior!

Whole wheat sandwich loaf:

I like this recipe because the fat called for is melted bacon grease, which gives it a lovely oinky flavor.

^Thanks! I was a bit worried with this loaf - I tried using my food processor to knead the dough for the first time, and I wasn’t sure that I’d done it properly. It took quite a while to rise, but the loaf turned out ok in the end - not too dense, which was my fear.

^Thanks! I was a bit worried with this loaf - I tried using my food processor to knead the dough for the first time, and I wasn’t sure that I’d done it properly. It took quite a while to rise, but the loaf turned out ok in the end - not too dense, which was my fear.
Usually when waking sourdough starters you'd feed them a couple of times minimum before using them. If the weather is really hot, this can be done in the same day, but it sounds like it needed longer before using, but I guess you know this?

(I used to make a lot of sourdough, did for years and years before moving to Australia. I had to start again with a new mother and carried on with that for a couple of years but during the pandemic with my parents both stranded here and 1 now in their 80's and in poor health and the other gluten free, I had to concentrate of other things. Now we just don't eat much bread.)

^Yep, normally you’d feed it a couple times to get it good and active before you tried baking with it…but honestly, I’m lazy. I can’t be bothered to feed it several times and then figure out what to do with the discard. The bread will turn out better if the starter’s nice and active, but you can turn out a decent loaf with one that’s a bit sluggish.

I got this starter in 2018, baked with it a bit, and then 2020 the pandemic hit and thus began the year of sourdough. I baked so much that year: bread, waffles, pizza crust, bagels, naan, cinnamon rolls, garlic rolls, burger buns, english muffins, all sourdough. Now that I’m back working hybrid I don’t as much time to bake as I used to, so the starter’s been a bit neglected.

Now that I’m back working hybrid I don’t as much time to bake as I used to, so the starter’s been a bit neglected.

I have something which looks very dark and grungy in my fridge (it was a starter). Its been there for three years, maybe more. I'm not sure whether to throw it out...

I have something which looks very dark and grungy in my fridge (it was a starter). Its been there for three years, maybe more. I'm not sure whether to throw it out...
The dark clear liquid on the top is the natural preservative & where all the flavour is. Assuming there is no mould, it's fine. Mine is exactly the same. It will need more than a single feed to wake it up though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom