Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is really tasty bread. I baked it this morning, using up the last of some buttermilk I had. It's half AP flour and half whole wheat flour.

Very soft, like a yeasty pillow for my insides. I just ate that heel with a big smear of butter and orange marmalade.

This is really tasty bread. I baked it this morning, using up the last of some buttermilk I had. It's half AP flour and half whole wheat flour.

Very soft, like a yeasty pillow for my insides. I just ate that heel with a big smear of butter and orange marmalade.

Looks tasty and soft... just curious, what is buttermilk? It’s a sort of cream - panna?

Looks tasty and soft... just curious, what is buttermilk? It’s a sort of cream - panna?
This is several years old, but the info is still good:

The Buttermilk Files - Un'americana in cucina

BTW, it's easy to find buttermilk here, as common as milk, and I grew up drinking it and a special treat was a glass of buttermilk with cold cornbread crumbled up in it and lots of black pepper on top...better than chocolate and ice cream and all the cakes and pies put together. 😋

I don't always have it on hand, so I occasionally will make a substitute using regular milk and lemon juice or distilled vinegar.

Another BTW, buttermilk is so common here that it's not unusual to hear folks, especially older folks, refer to regular milk as "sweet milk," to differentiate it from buttermilk, because not so long ago, if you asked for just milk, you'd get buttermilk.

This is several years old, but the info is still good:

The Buttermilk Files - Un'americana in cucina

BTW, it's easy to find buttermilk here, as common as milk, and I grew up drinking it and a special treat was a glass of buttermilk with cold cornbread crumbled up in it and lots of black pepper on top...better than chocolate and ice cream and all the cakes and pies put together. 😋

I don't always have it on hand, so I occasionally will make a substitute using regular milk and lemon juice or distilled vinegar.

Another BTW, buttermilk is so common here that it's not unusual to hear folks, especially older folks, refer to regular milk as "sweet milk," to differentiate it from buttermilk, because not so long ago, if you asked for just milk, you'd get buttermilk.

Thanks. Effectively “buttermilk” is not a common thing in Italy, but by reading the article I’ve found out that you can find buttermilk at NaturaSi that is my fave Bio supermarket

Thanks. Effectively “buttermilk” is not a common thing in Italy, but by reading the article I’ve found out that you can find buttermilk at NaturaSi that is my fave Bio supermarket
Buttermilk is also used to make Irish soda bread which is an unleaven bread and unbelievably easy to make. I always found the best Irish soda bread was made with the oldest buttermilk.
Recipe - Irish Soda Bread
It was the 30th thread to be added to CB.
I taught it to a young girl with learning problems. It's a non-yeast bread.

We use buttermilk a lot here. A lot.

Buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk waffles, buttermilk biscuits, buttermilk bread, buttermilk salad dressings, buttermilk marinade for chicken, buttermilk to make creme fraiche, buttermilk syrup, and on an on...and we drink it as well.

A hellish hour on the bike this afternoon, fighting a blustery west wind. It was hard to stay upright in places, never mind actually moving forwards. But it's character-building apparently .. oh, and I made another focaccia... and I'm very pleased with it.

We use buttermilk a lot here. A lot.

Buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk waffles, buttermilk biscuits, buttermilk bread, buttermilk salad dressings, buttermilk marinade for chicken, buttermilk to make creme fraiche, buttermilk syrup, and on an on...and we drink it as well.

Sounds even more interesting, I’ll check it!

I did make my loaf of bread. offIce been experimenting by adding more water to the recipe, just 10-15ml at a time.
The loaf doesn't rise as much which I'm fine with. I'm looking for a slightly denser loaf. But I totally forgot to photograph it before eating it yesterday. It will last today and tomorrow.

I'm looking for a slightly denser loaf.

Have you tried adding seeds - sunflower or pumpkin? I've found that they bulk out a loaf and can make it tastier too. You would need to add a little more water than usual if you do, as the seeds will absorb some of it.

Have you tried adding seeds - sunflower or pumpkin? I've found that they bulk out a loaf and can make it tastier too. You would need to add a little more water than usual if you do, as the seeds will absorb some of it.
It's a seeded granary loaf already, so I haven't added extra. It's a very soft loaf which doesn't cut well. Great soup bread though!

I haven't made one of these for a very long time - a Pane di Principessa. I haven't had any chestnut flour for months, but I was kindly given some very recently.

I originally posted this as Winter Bread (17) back in January last year. More info here A Winter bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom