Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a seeded granary loaf already, so I haven't added extra. It's a very soft loaf which doesn't cut well. Great soup bread though!
I got some bread out of the freezer the other day and it was only when it had thawed out that I realised it was a seeded granary loaf. I can't even remember when I made it but, like you say, it was very soft and definitely no good for sandwiches. Brilliant for a ploughman's lunch as well as soup.

[Mod.Edit: added a poll to find out how many members make bread (MG)]

I couldn't find a similar topic, so I'm making this one, just as a catch-all for whatever bread you're currently making.

Here's my bread today, a buttermilk-molasses loaf. Can't wait to try a slice.

:watching:that's a beautiful piece of bread

Another of my many 'pain rouge' variations .. this was 400g MCF and 200g petit épeautre .. so a mix of rye, wheat and einkorn flours, bulked out a bit with sunflower and lin seeds.

It was good fresh from the oven last night, spread with softened butter .. but it really comes into its own as a tasty 'breakfast bread', with orange marmalade.

View attachment 37633

Once upon a time, when I thought baking was fun, I made green onion bread. :happy:
I used to make green bread where the dough itself was green from nettles. But since moving to Australia into the middle of a drought, I don't have a source of fresh nettles anymore with which to make it.

This isn't a bad bread, but I think it could be better. I would have liked it to have risen a bit more, but I had a hectic day and had to put it in the cold to hold it back while I was out a few hours, and when I got back, it didn't really get enough time to warm back up before I had to throw it in the oven to have it ready for supper.

Good flavor, though, and I put hot water in the oven to help with the crust. I've been making all my breads lately with half white and half whole wheat flours and that's probably impacting the slight increase in density as well.

I've had some sourdough on the go since Wednesday afternoon. It spend 24 hours proving in the fridge and finally came out of the oven an hour ago. When it cools down enough to cut, I shall find out how successful if was - not that sourdough is never successful, some just ends up as toast :giggle:

some just ends up as toast
I know that one well!

I thought I had messed up yesterday's loaf of sourdough (yeasted for the breadmaker) big time. It's a packet mix that you add yeast (provided) and water to. I started off following the directions (when I bought the box of 4 loaf packets) 1 packet, 420 ml of water and 1½ tsp of yeast (4.5g). 2nd attempt was 3g of yeast and this 3rd attempt was 2.5g of yeast. But crucially this last time the water was really hot. not warm, but hot! But it was 6am in morning after a long day and a bad night and I wasn't thinking straight when I put it on. As I had to go out because the knee scooter I had on hire for hubby had broken, I just put it on and set it going with out thinking. I should have delayed the start but didn't, so when I go have to see it hadn't risen much at all and wasn't level with the top of the loaf tin (1.5kg loaf tin!) I thought it was going to be a huge failure. Hubby cut into it and tried it, announcing that it was the best loaf yet! what did I do? Can I repeat it? Errr... No! I have no idea what temperature that 420g of hot water was at other than below 100°C and maybe above 50-60°C!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom