Today's Bread (2019-2022)

Do you make your own bread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an English Muffin Toasting Loaf today.

The taste and texture are fine, but I'm trying to work out how to best use that giant clay baker I got for Christmas.

This is a 5-cups of flour recipe, and it's a very wet dough (more like a batter), and I think the clay baker is just too big - it behaved more like baking in a cake pan.

Either way, half will be our toast for the next few days, and half will go in the freezer.

View attachment 54731

Do you happen to have the recipe available still, or know where I can find it maybe? Thank you so much in advance.

Those look 🤬 awesome! How's the taste?

I haven't made English muffins yet because I don't have rings for frying them. Any shots of the inside?
Not yet, I haven't cut into them yet. Hoping for nooks and crannies. I'll come back with an update when I do.

This dough holds up so well you don't need rings, I didn't use any. I just made little balls of dough and let them rise with cornmeal under and atop each one, then when I fried them in the skillet I flattened them out a little. If I don't have nooks and crannies that will be why, and then next time I will know to make disks that look like hockey pucks with them before rising instead of the balls.

I updated my previous post with the photo, no nooks and crannies but the flavor is good. I'll do better next time.

Last edited:
Are you asking for the toasting bread recipe that I used or JAS' English muffin recipe?
Pretty sure they want yours, my post has the recipe link. And I wouldn't mind having it, either.

Actually, I wouldn't mind both! My computer went kaput last month and I'm having to get do my recipe collection.
I looked, it's there (post with the photos has it). But here it is again. Also keep in mind I think buttermilk works better than the milk the recipe calls for. I also think next time I'll "age" the dough in the refrigerator for an extra day.

How To Make English Muffins

I baked a loaf of basic white sandwich bread today.

I feel something of an obligation to make all the recipes in all my cookbooks at least once (minus the fish/seafood stuff), so I flipped though and found a recipe I'd never made. Nothing special, but I'd never done it, so that was the one.

First ingredient, "6 to 7 cups AP flour," with a little asterisk that, when followed to the bottom of the page, instructed that one could substitute self-rising flour, but to omit the salt.

Hey, I think I'll try that, just to be different. In with the self-rising flour, then.

Second ingredient, sugar. In you go, sweetie!

Third ingredient, a big ol' heaping helping of salt. Of course, bread tastes awful without salt, so there you go, get in there!

As soon as I got to the warm water part and turned the mixer on, I remembered, "Wasn't I supposed to leave that salt out?"

:laugh:

I baked a loaf of basic white sandwich bread today.

I feel something of an obligation to make all the recipes in all my cookbooks at least once (minus the fish/seafood stuff), so I flipped though and found a recipe I'd never made. Nothing special, but I'd never done it, so that was the one.

First ingredient, "6 to 7 cups AP flour," with a little asterisk that, when followed to the bottom of the page, instructed that one could substitute self-rising flour, but to omit the salt.

Hey, I think I'll try that, just to be different. In with the self-rising flour, then.

Second ingredient, sugar. In you go, sweetie!

Third ingredient, a big ol' heaping helping of salt. Of course, bread tastes awful without salt, so there you go, get in there!

As soon as I got to the warm water part and turned the mixer on, I remembered, "Wasn't I supposed to leave that salt out?"

:laugh:

You deviated from a recipe. The recipe police are on their way.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.50.13 PM.jpg

CD

You deviated from a recipe. The recipe police are on their way.

View attachment 68653

CD
I didn't mean to, it's just my damn Recipe Attention Disorder. Seriously, it was:

Ingredients
Flour
Sugar
Salt

and in the literal seconds it took me to read "if you use self-rising flour, leave out the salt," and add the sugar, I'd already forgotten about not adding the salt.

Seconds. I'm talking less than 30 seconds. Don't add salt...got it. Put in some sugar, what's next...let's see...salt, got it. In you go. 🤦🏻‍♂️

They were out of English muffins for my curbside grocery pickup yesterday. My hubby likes breakfast sandwiches made with English muffins, so I made English muffins from scratch. I used this recipe:
How To Make English Muffins
I did make a change, I got some sage advice from TastyReuben about using buttermilk. The recipe author used milk. I had buttermilk and half and half, so I watered down the half and half a bit and used buttermilk along with it instead of milk. I think it's really cool that you "bake" these in a skillet!

View attachment 68037
View attachment 68036
UPDATE: Well drats. The inside is light and fluffy, but no nooks and crannies. The flavor is good, but could have used more of a tang. I think next time I will use all buttermilk and a tad more flour, and of course I will preshape them before the rise and not flatten while they are frying.
View attachment 68038
Okay, so I made my starter dough yesterday and made the main dough today. Last time I only aged the dough 1 day, this time I will age it for 3 days. I used buttermilk again but also added a 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the dough so hopefully I will get some nooks and crannies this time! Last time I only let them do the final rise for 1.5 hours, this time I will go 2 hours. I will post photos when I "bake" them on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom