Tofu in desserts

ambrosia

Veteran
Local time
1:53 AM
Lately I have been trying out some new sweet recipes involving soft tofu. I like to buy the bland dessert tofu that they sell in the health food store, and add fruit, jam or green stevia powder to sweeten it. Sometimes I also add nuts and fresh herbs, such as mint. It tastes particularly good when chilled. The next thing I would like to try is tofu ice cream. Have you ever tried it?

I have not yet tried tofu ice cream but it is made right I suspect that it would taste okay. I don't like tofu on its own but mixed with the right ingredients I find it pretty decent to eat.

Where I live, there's a street food called taho that is essentially silken tofu mixed with a dark sugar syrup, and jelly pearls (sago, or tapioca jelly pearls). You can usually get it piping hot, which is delightful during monsoon season, although during the dry/hot season I like to keep it in the refrigerator until chilled. Sweetened blackstrap molasses is closer to the flavor than honey or most light syrups, just in case you want to try this recipe at home. Sometimes, the syrup is infused with jackfruit.

I'm trying to remember that sort of soy Japanese pudding that's served usually after a meal, so it might technically be "dessert" except that it's not sweet, it's salty and light, mostly made of silky soy curd as well.

I've never tried tofu ice cream.

Tempeh is a more robust form of soy curd than most tofu...perhaps that can hold up well being baked into something sweet. I'm thinking grilling on a skewer with sweet potatoes and a honey glaze (just because I'm personally a fan of honey) but I haven't tried that myself either.

I haven't tried making it myself, but we have a popular soy based dessert dish here that's kind of like an almond pudding topped with syrup and tapioca balls. It's one of my favorites and since it's cheap to buy ready made, I don't attempt to make it myself anymore.

Where I live, there's a street food called taho that is essentially silken tofu mixed with a dark sugar syrup, and jelly pearls (sago, or tapioca jelly pearls). You can usually get it piping hot, which is delightful during monsoon season, although during the dry/hot season I like to keep it in the refrigerator until chilled. Sweetened blackstrap molasses is closer to the flavor than honey or most light syrups, just in case you want to try this recipe at home. Sometimes, the syrup is infused with jackfruit.

I'm trying to remember that sort of soy Japanese pudding that's served usually after a meal, so it might technically be "dessert" except that it's not sweet, it's salty and light, mostly made of silky soy curd as well.

I've never tried tofu ice cream.

Tempeh is a more robust form of soy curd than most tofu...perhaps that can hold up well being baked into something sweet. I'm thinking grilling on a skewer with sweet potatoes and a honey glaze (just because I'm personally a fan of honey) but I haven't tried that myself either.
Wow, you just made my mouth water! Tempeh with sweet potatoes and a honey glaze! That sounds so simple and delicious, I feel like trying it out right now. Thanks so much for your wonderful suggestions that are putting new ideas in my head. :)
I can imagine that jelly pearls must make a wonderful decoration, giving a dessert something unusual and magical. I have never seen them in the parts of the world where I have lived so far.

I haven't tried making it myself, but we have a popular soy based dessert dish here that's kind of like an almond pudding topped with syrup and tapioca balls. It's one of my favorites and since it's cheap to buy ready made, I don't attempt to make it myself anymore.
You are lucky to have such delicious things nearby! Here where I live anything that includes tofu is exotic. I live in a nation that is obsessed with pork and doesn't view vegetarianism as mainstream. I want to try and make those tapioca balls that you mention. It's a food that I very rarely eat or have come across here. I'll do some more research on the internet. :)

Need to try this. But honestly, I cannot imagine TOFU in deserts. But considering it has kinda neutral taste, it should be good and it also might replace the cottage cheese in some recipes.

One good recipe for soft tofu as a dessert is... heat the soft tofu in the microwave oven...then prepared sweet syrup by boiling brown sugar with water and tapioca...combine and mix them together and eat while it is medium hot..a healthy delicious dessert!

Back
Top Bottom