Recipe Tomato and Red Pepper Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I rather like this recipe because of its simplicity. I've taken the recipe directly from here with a couple of minor changes but I have come across the same recipe in many places. There are various alteratives to the recipe including roasting the veg before hand or simply roasting the red peppers beforehand, plus skinning them, but they all have the same thing in common.
It serves 4 and is very quick to prepare. If you want to add a little extra kick and warmth to the recipe as 1/8th tsp cayenne pepper.

jun-07_tomato-and-red-pepper-soup_b_330x330.jpg

INGREDIENTS
  • 2tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 large red peppers, seeds removed and roughly chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 600g (21oz) ripe tomatoes, quartered
  • 1-2tbsp tomato concentrate
  • 1/2-1 tsp brown sugar (to taste, optional)
  • 1l vegetable stock
  • 250ml almond milk (optional)
  • 1tbsp chopped fresh basil, to garnish
  • Extra virgin olive oil, to garnish
METHOD
  1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
  2. Add the tomato concentrate and sugar (to taste, this depends on the fresh tomatoes and how much flavour they had) and the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Purée the soup in batches in a food processor or with a hand-held blender. Strain through a coarse sieve and add enough almond milk to achieve your desired consistency. If you don't want to add milk, add more stock as needed.
  4. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot, and garnished with the basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

Sounds really good, and I too like the simplicity of the recipe. I'd definitely roast the peppers before putting them in the soup, because personally I love the depth of flavour and the taste that roasted peppers bring to a dish! I also liked that you can use almond milk if you want a creamier consistency or just use more stock if not.

Looks good to me and everything that the recipe calls for can be easily found. My last experience with Almond milk was not great and it went off in no time. Since them I have been very skeptical about it.

This recipe sounds really good and I always like when things are easy. Recipes like this are much appreciated since I am eating healthier and this would be a good choice. I like the use of almond milk. This would be a must try recipe for me.

I like this - but I'd use canned tomatoes (even easier and probably cheaper). Unless your tomatoes are top quality then I find you can't beat good quality canned Italian tomatoes in recipes like this! I'm interested by the use of almond milk. I use it a lot and have added it to soup. If anything it adds that 'Heinz tomato soup' taste if I add it to a simple home-made tomato soup. That is no bad thing! I am logging recipes to try out in my 'test kitchen'. This one is on the list!

Back
Top Bottom