1 cup AP/plain flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 TB unsalted butter, cold
1 egg, beaten
6 TB milk
1 heaping TB finely minced fresh parsley

Directions
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion, pepper, celery, and bay leaf until the onion becomes transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and seasonings, bring to a boil, and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients for the dumplings. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. Add the egg, milk, and parsley. Blend lightly, don't overmix. Drop by tablespoons (to make about 6 dumplings) on top of the simmering tomatoes.

Cover tightly, and cook over medium-low heat for the cooking period. Serve in bowls, topped with butter.

Recipe courtesy of Cooking From Quilt Country, Marcia Adams

I'm low carb right now TR but I love a good dumpling and these look great.
Thanks, I really appreciate that!

I always serve up my wife's plate first, while I fuss a little with mine to take a pic (I know, it doesn't look it!), so I always ask, "How is it?"

Tonight's response was, "Mreawy gurd!" ("Really good," spoken with a mouthful of food). :laugh:

I also like a good dumpling. They look very nice and I imagine the fresh taste of the sauce is a good contrast with the comforting dumpling. Its also a vegetarian dish so I added a tag.
You make a good point that is often not thought about or people aren't aware of and that is what you refer to as contrast or balance which is the basic understanding of the ingredients they're working with. Dumplings and a tomato sauce can demonstrate that very effectively.

Back
Top Bottom