Recipe Tomato Fondue

Local time
10:43 AM
Inspired by TastyReuben's post about his New Year's Eve fondue, I thought I'd share the recipe for a tomato fondue we had a couple of days ago. It sounded strange when I first came across it, but apparently its from the Valais canton of Switzerland and it was absolutely delicious :hungry:I found that the tomato cuts through some of the cheesy richness, which makes it easier to eat even more of it :D

Serves 4:
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 400g tomatoes, pureed - I used tinned plum tomatoes which I blitzed, or you could use passata
  • 200ml wine - I used white, but I've also seen recipes which use red
  • 600g cheese, grated - I used a mixture of Emmental and Gruyere
  • 1tbsp cornflour
  • 2 tbsp kirsch - if you don't have kirsch, use any brandy as a substitute (if you don't have either, then leave out...it'll still taste great)
  • dried herbs of your choice - I used oregano
  • pepper and nutmeg - to taste

• Whisk together the cornflour and kirsch in a small bowl (use wine or water if you don't have kirsch or brandy)
  • Add the garlic, tomatoes and wine to your fondue pot and bring almost to the boil
  • Add the cheese and stir until it melts
  • Increase the heat until the tomatoey-cheesey mixture starts to bubble and then stir in the cornflour slurry
  • Season with pepper and nutmeg, then serve

Traditionally fondue is served with only bread for dipping, and with cornichons and pickled onions on the side.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
10:43 AM
I do like this idea of adding tomato to cut the richness. What colour does it turn out?

Top Bottom