Recipe Tomato, Goat's Cheese and Brie Tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:50 PM
The new ingredient for theThe CookingBites Recipe Challenge is tomatoes. Coincidentally I had just made this tart which features tomatoes as a star ingredient and was about to post itI haven't put quantities for the filling. You can judge this easily by eye. Just be generous and fill the pastry shell to the brim. This recipe makes a very strong tasting tart, its not not a mild mannered quiche! I think its best served in small wedges as a starter with some watercress.

IMGP0747.jpg

Photographed two days ago in natural light
IMGP0751.jpg

Ingredients:
Shortcrust pastry (I made my own but of course you could use ready-rolled or even a pre-cooked tart shell).
Assortment of tomatoes cut into rounds if large or halved if small.
Goat's Cheese
Brie or Camembert Cheese
Thyme

Method:

• Heat the oven to 180 c
  • Line a greased 23cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  • Cut the cheeses into thick pieces. Cover the base of the tart in the cheese
  • Arrange the cut tomatoes on top of the cheeses and scatter over the thyme.
  • Lower the oven heat to 170 c and bake for 20 -25 mins
Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature.

IMGP0756.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect this is going to be too much for me. Tarts are usually sweet or savoury? I have never made any. I actually had to Google it. Do tarts ever have meat? Everything I came across so far does not. I think I need a tart education.

I suspect this is going to be too much for me. Tarts are usually sweet or savoury? I have never made any. I actually had to Google it. Do tarts ever have meat? Everything I came across so far does not. I think I need a tart education.

A tart, a quiche, possibly a flan, call it what you will! The words are pretty interchangeable. Tarts can be sweet or savoury. Have you not come across the famous Quiche Lorraine (basically a cheese and bacon quiche or tart). That has meat in it!

Perhaps its the word tart which confused you? This is a tomato quiche if you prefer. I just called it a tart because of the alliteration with the word tomato! I thought it sounded better. I could just as well have called it a tomato quiche, although, strictly speaking, a quiche contains an egg mixture: Oxford English dictionary definition of quiche: A baked flan or tart with a savoury filling thickened with eggs, usually eaten cold

Here is the Oxford English dictionary definition of a tart: An open pastry case containing a sweet or savoury filling. Try googling tomato tart and you will find hundreds of them!

Last edited:
I think I am not used the word tart then. I immediately thought it looked like a quiche so I guess that's what it is then. In the case of the one you presented I'd love to add some ham and the like. Either way you are off and running with the Challenge and that's great.

I think I am not used the word tart then. I immediately thought it looked like a quiche so I guess that's what it is then. In the case of the one you presented I'd love to add some ham and the like. Either way you are off and running with the Challenge and that's great.
You could certainly add some ham - but believe me, this quiche/tart packs a punch without it! A quiche traditionally uses an egg and cream/milk mixture to form a custard in which the ingredients are set. So, quiches tend to be quite mild tasting. In this recipe, there is only cheese and tomato - that is all, so the melted cheeses form a strong and dominant taste which is offset by the sweet tomatoes.

A tart (or tarte) originated as a French/English pastry filled with fruit, jam, custard etc. Broadly equivalent to the American "pie". English/French tarts tend to be cooked in a metal flan or pastry ring, whereas the American pie would be cooked in a dish. Savoury filled versions were often called "flans", but this term became a bit passé in the 70 so they are now pretty much interchangeable. Savoury versions, such as @morning glory s recipe are also called "quiche" here in the Europe. The word "quiche" originates in Lorraine, as a pastry case filled with bacon, egg and sometimes Gruyere cheese.

So, yes a tart can have a savoury filling - meat or fish are fine. I'm sure there are some Chicken ones out there!

Here endeth the tart education :D

Last edited:
The new ingredient for theThe CookingBites Recipe Challenge is tomatoes. Coincidentally I had just made this tart which features tomatoes as a star ingredient and was about to post itI haven't put quantities for the filling. You can judge this easily by eye. Just be generous and fill the pastry shell to the brim. This recipe makes a very strong tasting tart, its not not a mild mannered quiche! I think its best served in small wedges as a starter with some watercress.

View attachment 2746
Photographed two days ago in natural light
View attachment 2747

Ingredients:
Shortcrust pastry (I made my own but of course you could use ready-rolled or even a pre-cooked tart shell).
Assortment of tomatoes cut into rounds if large or halved if small.
Goat's Cheese
Brie or Camembert Cheese
Thyme

Method:

• Heat the oven to 180 c
  • Line a greased 23cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  • Cut the cheeses into thick pieces. Cover the base of the quiche in the cheese
  • Arrange the cut tomatoes on top of the cheeses and scatter over the thyme.
  • Lower the oven heat to 170 c and bake for 20 -25 mins
Serve warm (not hot) or at room temperature.

View attachment 2748

That's a great start to the Challenge @morning glory, thank you for the recipe. There's nothing like a robust tart, looks delicious!

Back
Top Bottom