Recipe Tomato, Onion, Avocado Salad

Local time
8:14 AM
Avocado is one of my favourite vegetables. When I came across this recipe I figured it was quite simple and would make a lovely salad.

Source: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomato_onion_avocado_salad/

Ingredients:

• 3-4 fresh large tomatoes, sliced
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 avocados, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoons crumbled dried oregano, or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Extra virgin olive oil (the best quality)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Method:
1 Layer tomatoes, onions, avocado. Add parsley, garlic, oregano:
Place a layer of sliced tomatoes on a large serving platter. Sprinkle with salt. Arrange the slivers of thinly sliced red onions and the chunks of avocado over the tomatoes.

Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, minced garlic, and crumbled dried oregano.

2 Dress with red wine vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper: Drizzle red wine vinegar and olive oil over the platter. Sprinkle with a little more salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temp for an hour or two before serving. Do not refrigerate.

tomato-onion-avocado-salad-horiz-a-1600.jpg

This is a winner for me. I love avocados or pears as we called them around here. Have you seen any recently @Caribbean girl ? You know how seasonal it is around here but only last weekend a friend brought me three. I was praying I would have for my Sunday meal. You know how that goes. Fortunately two were ready. It's just a shame there were very small. Still I was thrilled to have any, small or big. I'd adjust the recipe though. I'd have lime in there.

Have you seen any recently @Caribbean girl ? You know how seasonal it is around here but only last weekend a friend brought me three.

As far as I know, this is the season for avocados (pears) so we should be seeing quite a lot of them now. I don't think I would add lime to this recipe though. The tomatoes would already have a little acidity in them. Probably if it was cucumbers instead of tomatoes, then I would add a bit of lime to it. I would eat a slice of avocado on its own or incorporated in a salad like the one above, or at the side of my dinner.

As far as I know, this is the season for avocados (pears) so we should be seeing quite a lot of them now. I don't think I would add lime to this recipe though. The tomatoes would already have a little acidity in them. Probably if it was cucumbers instead of tomatoes, then I would add a bit of lime to it. I would eat a slice of avocado on its own or incorporated in a salad like the one above, or at the side of my dinner.
It seems like it is the season. Sadly my mom's tree is not bearing any at present or if any very few and very high on a particular tree based on what she told me last. I like to include lime, salt, pepper and onions in those types of salads. The same thing I do with cucumbers. Of course when it comes to a good tasting avocado it needs nothing besides sitting on my plate....for me to partake.

Back
Top Bottom