Recipe Tomato salad

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
7:07 AM
I enjoy making salads with roma tomatoes. To me, they are easier to manipulate (slice/dice/cube). Also, they are crisp and flavorful. Below is a simple, healthy salad made with this fruit.

Ingredients
6 roma (plum) tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 to 3 garlic peeled and minced (or sliced)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 ounces tomato-basil feta cheese, crumbled

Steps

In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and feta cheese. Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving.

LOL, but there are certainly a large variety of tomatoes, more than you have ever seen in life.

Myself have not seen at least a dozen of the many listed here:
Tomato Varieties

Below is an extensive database of tomato variety descriptions and images of fruit grown at Rutgers NJAES research farms. We continue to add details, photos and research reports as they become available.

For your personal joy, go for the large list here, http://njaes.rutgers.edu/tomato-varieties/

On the other hand, thanks True2Marie for this easy-to-prepare recipe :)

I like the Eva Purple Ball variety http://njaes.rutgers.edu/tomato-varieties/variety.asp?Eva Purple Ball

Not a tomato lover but I do like sundried tomatoes in my salad. They come in dried version as well as packed in a jar with olive oil. The latter lends itself well to pasta salads as they can become dry to me. The great thing is that they keep better than fresh tomatoes and have more flavor than canned tomatoes that may cost a little less.:woot:

Here in our country we use the small round cherry like tomatoes for our salad. It blends well with the other ingredients for the salad making it to look more attractive and appetizing when already in the serving plate.

I usually opt for cherry tomatoes and half them. If I use larger tomatoes, I prefer them to be firm and only just ripe. Any tomatoes that have started to go soft I use for sauces or soups instead.

I usually put the small round tomatoes in my salad, only when it's just for me. Lately I have not been using any type of tomatoes because they make my husband throw up. There are certain veggies that I cannot use now because they make him sick.

I do like sweet cherry tomatoes, and I love sundried tomatoes. In a salad I really don't mind what type as long as they are not too watery. I either slice larger tomatoes or half cherry tomatoes when making salad.

I love Roma tomatoes too. I love them because they are firm. In a pinch, I will use cherry tomatoes. My local grocery store carries about 10 varieties of tomatoes. I stick with my standards. One day, I'm going to be adventurous. I'm just not a big fan of tomatoes.

I love cherry tomatoes! It's good that the grocery near my home sells this now. Before, I had to go far just to get cherry tomatoes.

I personally enjoy the very juicy cherry tomatoes when it comes to making salads. The only problem I have with them is sometimes the juice will gush out from the fork stabbing it and frankly, it seems to always aim for the eye in those scenarios. Other than the cherry tomato, sliced red tomatoes are a second favorite for salads when I'm the one making them.

As I've just weathered some tomato plants into the garden ,here's the plants I've just put in
Gardeners delight
Money maker
Mountain magic,
Sun grape,
I never get up set if any do not ripen as we use them for a green tomato chutney and over ripe go in the freezer for soups and sauces
Also I moon dry tomatoes by marinating them and dry them in the bottom oven
The tomatoes we have in our fridge are some great vine plum tomatoes,vine cherry tomatoes,and some big boy beef toms ,,all seem to be top quality at the present a bit of sunlight on the poly tunnels has done a world of good

I used use..well.. regular? tomatoes. You know, the normal, red, round thingy? :D

:D:D:DI am here with you except quite recently I was using those 'regular' tomatoes from my garden. Sometimes if I am having guest I might get those tiny ones: I just can't remember the name:scratchhead:. Then there are those long oval ones that are usually very firm which I love for their firmness. I decided to look up this tomato matter and like this link. It will serve us well Crimsonghost.

http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/pc/Tomato-Plants-All-Varieties-A-Z-c38.htm

Regular tomatoes rule, but I have to say I've grown fond of cherry tomatoes as well. They're a perfect winter alternative and taste just as good as regular tomatoes, despite the fact that they're considerably smaller. I eat them as a snack, but they're a fine addition to any salad you plan on making. I agree on roma tomatoes, as well, those are excellent too (although is there really such a thing as a bad tomato, in all honesty?).

Back
Top Bottom