Tomatoes Retaining Heat

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
7:33 PM
Is it my imagination that tomatoes retain heat far longer than other foods?

Prior to peeling fresh tomatoes I dunk them in boiling water for a couple of minutes but it lakes a long time for them to cool sufficiently for me to peel. I included 3 peeled and chopped tomatoes in my stew this last week and again it took a while before I could eat the stew comfortably.

I'm afraid that I failed both physics and chemistry at GCE O level.

Have you tried measuring the internal temperature of the tomatoes with a probe? May be interesting to see how long they retain their heat compared with other produce.

Well, science would say it is all about thermal mass. Thermal mass is why thick cast iron stays hot for longer than thin aluminum.

I don't know the thermal mass of tomatoes vs other foods, but that's where I'd start looking if I wanted to know why tomatoes stay hot longer.

CD

Have you tried measuring the internal temperature of the tomatoes with a probe? May be interesting to see how long they retain their heat compared with other produce.

No. I gave my temperature probe away some years ago and didn't buy a new one.

I don't know the thermal mass of tomatoes vs other foods, but that's where I'd start looking if I wanted to know why tomatoes stay hot longer.

CD

Do you agree that tomatoes stay hot longer than most other foods?

I can't say I've ever noticed but then I usually use heated tomatoes in sauces so they aren't whole. On the odd occasion I've grilled them for a full English, they've been cut in half and I don't think they stayed hot longer than the rest of the breakfast.

Yes, they do seem to retain heat. We like to roast whole cherry or grape tomatoes with EVOO, basil and Parm sometimes and those little buggers stay HOT for a very long time. We've learned to time it so they are done at least 10 to 15 minutes before everything else.

I've burnt the roof of my mouth with pizza many times, but don't know if it is the tomatoes or the molten cheese that does it. Perhaps both -- a double whammy.

CD

Back
Top Bottom