Recipe Toor Dahl with Spinach

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:23 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Last night I made up a very simple but seriously delicious dish with toor dahl and fresh spinach. I sorry of followed the recipe in my usual approach, roughly... Luckily as with most dahl recipes they are pretty flexible and only guides target than exact quantities...

Toor Dahl with Spinach

Ingredients
250 - 300g oily toor dahl
½ tsp tumeric
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion finely sliced (½ moon slices)
2 - 4 cloves of garlic crushed (to taste)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
25g dried tamarind block soaked for several hours in 125ml of hot water
5 green chilies
100 - 200g fresh spinach (you can use frozen if needed)
1 - 2 tbsp roasted gram flour (chickpea/garbanzo)
Small handful of curry leaves (fresh if available)

Method
Cook the toor dahl with the tumeric in roughly ¾ - 1L of water until very soft and mashy. Leave to stand.
Strain the tamarind through a sieve and using the back of a teaspoon press as much pulp through as you can to make a thin tamarind puree. As this to the dahl mixture and mix in well.
Roast the gram flour until slightly browner and store.
Heat the oil and fry the onions until starting to brown.
Add the mustard seeds, crushed garlic and cumin seeds and when they start to pop add the spinach.
Add the roasted gram flour and a little water if necessary, the stir into the dahl mixture along with the green chilies and the curry leaves. If I'm using dried curry leaves, I crush them up and removed any stems.
Stir well and make sure it is hot. Serve with homemade chapatti...

normally do a vegetarian dish with our curries,we love dhal ,normally keep to mixed lentils not split peas,its great finished with sliced okra,unusual to see tamarind in there....

Back
Top Bottom